UNC Asheville ranks seventh among public liberal arts universities, says U.S. News and World Report

Press release from UNC Asheville:

UNC Asheville has moved up a notch and is now ranked seventh in the nation among public liberal arts universities in U.S. News and World Report’s new “2021 U.S. News Best Colleges,” released online today. UNC Asheville shares that seventh-place ranking with the University of Minnesota Morris. The full rankings and descriptions are available online at usnews.com/best-colleges.

UNC Asheville has historically been highly rated by U.S. News. Last year, the University was tied for eighth place nationally in the Public Liberal Arts category, and each of the last two years, U.S. News has included UNC Asheville in its “web-exclusive” list of schools supporting “Social Mobility.” The social mobility ranking is computed from two ranking factors assessing graduation rates of Pell-awarded students.

Additionally, UNC Asheville is included on the lists of Undergraduate Business Programs, Undergraduate Engineering Programs, and U.S. News’ first-ever list of Undergraduate Computer Science Programs.

According to U.S. News, 80% of a school’s ranking in the National Liberal Arts category “is based on a formula that uses statistical measures of academic quality, such as graduation rates, social mobility, faculty information and admissions data… The remaining 20% of the rankings is based on academic reputation, determined by a peer assessment from top academics at colleges.”

The U.S. News ranking follows on the heels of UNC Asheville’s inclusion by The Princeton Review in The Best 386 Colleges, published in August. UNC Asheville scored 93 out of 100 in “Quality of Life,” and 91 out of 100 in the “Green” rating by The Princeton Review, in addition to being included on several national top-20 lists: LGBTQ-Friendly, Least Religious Students, Most Politically Active Students, Town-Gown Relations Are Great, and College City Gets High Marks.

The Fiske Guide to Colleges 2021, also issued in August, said that “all the ingredients for a superior college experience lie in wait at Asheville: strong academics, dedicated professors, and an administration that continues to push for excellence.” Forbes included the University in its recent publication, “America’s Best College Values.”

UNC Asheville is now accepting applications for the fall 2021 semester, with a Nov. 1 deadline for early decision. For more information about UNC Asheville, including the now virtual Discovery Day open houses on Sept. 26 and Oct. 24, visit unca.edu/admission/visit.

About Community Bulletin
Mountain Xpress posts selected news and information of local interest as a public service for our readers. To submit press releases and other community material for possible publication, email news@mountainx.com.

Before you comment

The comments section is here to provide a platform for civil dialogue on the issues we face together as a local community. Xpress is committed to offering this platform for all voices, but when the tone of the discussion gets nasty or strays off topic, we believe many people choose not to participate. Xpress editors are determined to moderate comments to ensure a constructive interchange is maintained. All comments judged not to be in keeping with the spirit of civil discourse will be removed and repeat violators will be banned. See here for our terms of service. Thank you for being part of this effort to promote respectful discussion.

Leave a Reply

To leave a reply you may Login with your Mountain Xpress account, connect socially or enter your name and e-mail. Your e-mail address will not be published. All fields are required.