Press release from Buncombe County:
Another election season is approaching, and Election Services has all the information you need if you want to be a candidate in one of the local races. Below you will find information about what races are on the 2021 ballot, eligibility requirements, how to file, and more.
What races am I able to file for in the 2021 election?
- Weaverville Mayor – 1 seat
- Weaverville Town Council – 3 seats
- Woodfin Alderman – 3 seats
- Woodfin Water and Sewer District Trustee – 3 seats
How much does it cost to file?
We can accept cash, check, cashier’s checks, certified checks, or money orders. We cannot accept credit or debit cards.
- Weaverville Mayor – $20
- Weaverville Town Council – $20
- Woodfin Alderman – $5
- Woodfin Water and Sewer District Trustee – $5
What is the criteria to be a candidate?
- 21 years old by Election Day
- Reside within the municipal limits
- Be a registered voter (but you can register at the time of filing your notice of candidacy)
What is the deadline for filing?
Filing begins Friday, July 2, 2021 at noon and ends Friday, July 16, 2021 at noon Election Services is closed on Monday, July 5, 2021.
Where and how do I officially file?
Filing will occur at Election Services’ temporary office located at 50 Coxe Ave., Asheville, NC 28801.
Notice of candidacy forms may also be mailed to the Election Services office between the filing dates (July 2-16 at noon). All notices mailed to our office must be notarized and received (not postmarked) prior to noon July 16, 2021 at noon. Check the Election Services website for a notice of candidacy document.
Candidates will need to provide a valid NC driver’s license or photo ID during filing for notary purposes.
- 2021 offices and filing fees
- Every candidate is required to open a campaign finance committee. That information is located here.
For candidate filing questions, please contact Victoria Pickens at Victoria.Pickens@buncombecounty.org or (828) 250-4214.