Friends of the WNC Nature Center seeks Retail Assistant
Friends Mission: The mission of the Friends of the Western North Carolina Nature Center, a not-for-profit membership organization, is to create awareness and provide financial resources, through fundraising and events, in support of the Nature Center.
Friends History: Ceremonies were held in May 1973 for the new Children’s Zoo & Nature Center to replace the former Asheville City Zoo. This community improvement was led by donations from the Junior League totaling $25,000 and donated labor from the Asheville Building & Trades Council. The Friends of the WNC Nature Center, a 501(c)(3) non-profit charity, was formed in October 1974. The Friends currently raises more than $400,000 per year, including annual membership gifts from approximately 5,000 households.
Role of the Retail Assistant: The Retail Assistant operates the retail operations under the direction of the Retail Operations Manager of the Friends of the WNC Nature center. This includes gift shop, food operations, and other revenue sources. This is a part-time, hourly position with a schedule that may shift seasonally.
The Gift Shop is open during regular business hours (10:00-5:00 361 days per year) Schedule for this position may flex between 32 hours during busiest seasons and 16 hours during slower seasons.
The Retail Assistant will often be required to operate the gift shop alone or with volunteer assistance.
Main Job Duties
• Open and close the gift shop. Perform daily tasks for non-staffed retail operations.
• Assist customers, practice upselling, and process transactions (50-100+ transactions/day).
• Keep the gift shop clean, stocked, and welcoming.
• Assist with daily reporting, point of sale, and accounting systems
• Make occasional pick-ups of food and/or merchandise as needed
• Assist with training volunteers for gift shop service
• Assist the Retail Operations Manager with the online store & sales fulfillment.
• Lift merchandise boxes of up to 60 pounds.
• Provide highest level of customer service & satisfaction
• Retail or food service experience required
• Experience working in any or all of the following fields strongly preferred:
o non-profit organization
o museum, zoo, aquarium, or science center
• Experience with point of sale systems required
• Experience merchandising is preferred
• Commitment to the mission of the Friends of WNC Nature Center
• Ability and willingness to work weekends and occasional evenings
• Ability to be as friendly to the 1,000th visitor of the day as to the 1st.
• $13.50 per hour
How to Apply
• Submit an electronic cover letter and resume as one PDF document by 5:00 p.m. on Friday, May 18, 2018, to email@example.com wildwnc.org