WNC magazine Seeking a Senior Editor
WNC magazine, the lifestyle publication for Western North Carolina, is looking for a full-time senior editor to lead our award-winning team. The senior editor will ensure that the quarterly magazine goes out on time and within budget, enforcing internal deadlines, maintaining the production schedule and overseeing freelance fees.
She or he will be heavily involved in the creative process, contributing ideas, writing and editing skills, and problem-solving abilities to the production of the entire magazine in print and digital platforms.
Our ideal candidate will have a deep interest in and ongoing engagement with life in Western North Carolina, as well as the ability to translate this into appealing, insightful articles. Publishing experience and the ability to manage a team of contributors is a must.
• Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications or a relevant field
• Three+ years of experience in publishing, preferably with at least one year of experience in an editorial oversight role
• Demonstrated experience with assigning, writing and editing stories
• Strong leadership abilities and experience in managing a staff and interns
• Top-notch organizational skills
• An eye for detail along with critical thinking skills
• Working knowledge of InDesign, Photoshop, Microsoft Office, G Suite and digital media technology is preferred
• Knowledge of Chicago and/or MLA style
• Familiarity with SEO and social media best practices
• A general familiarity of Western North Carolina life, history, and culture preferred
• Coordinate print and online publishing cycles and manage content areas
• Set publication standards and establish goals and expectations
• Suggest stories and generate headline ideas in alignment with targeted audience’s preferences
• Oversee layout (artwork, design, photography) and check content for accuracy and errors
• Proofread, edit and improve stories or pieces
• Recruit and manage contributing writers
• Cooperate and liaise with designers, photographers and advertising reps
• Oversee social media
• Meet deadlines and budget requirements
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume and salary requirements to email@example.com.