Youth Literacy Director
YOUTH LITERACY DIRECTOR
Asheville, North Carolina
Literacy Together has been serving the Buncombe County area for 35 years with a mission to transform lives and communities through the power of literacy. We seek an experienced candidate to serve as the Youth Literacy Director. The program provides specialized training to volunteer tutors to work with K-5th grade students behind grade level in reading. We prioritize students of color by working in collaboration with local after-school programs. Students receive instruction two hours a week, using evidence-based Wilson Reading/Orton-Gillingham learning principles, combined with multi-sensory reading games and activities.
Summary of Duties and Responsibilities
- Conduct volunteer tutor training multiple times per year
- Provide ongoing support for tutors and conduct periodic in-services
- Maintain accurate records on instructional hours and student pre-and post-testing data.
- Develop and maintain a resource library at each after-school site.
- Provide leadership in all aspects of the program
- Extensive experience with Wilson Reading/Orton-Gillingham and other phonics-based literacy programs
- Experience as a K-5 educator or tutor
- Demonstrated proficiency as a trainer or facilitator
- Proficiency with Google Suite and Microsoft Office
- Experience with students who have learning disabilities and differences
- Familiarity with trauma-informed practices and adverse childhood experiences (ACES)
- Experience working or volunteering in community programs
Compensation and Hours
40 hour/week position with a salary of $40,000. The salary can be prorated to a 30 hours/week position if preferred. Literacy Together offers a flexible work schedule and a generous time off package.
A detailed position description is available on our website at https://lit-together.org/job-openings/
To apply please send a resume and cover by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org using the subject line: "Youth Literacy Position" plus your last name. No phone calls, please. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Literacy Together is an equal opportunity employer. Candidates of color are especially encouraged to apply.