Beer Today, Gone Tomorrow is the one-stop home for Asheville-area beer news. Check back throughout the week for updates and send your own to email@example.com.
Bottle and can releases
- On Friday, April 28, Highland Brewing Co. will release its spring seasonal, Big Briar Raspberry Tart Ale (5.4 percent ABV), brewed with fresh puréed raspberries and El Dorado hops.
- **NEW** Zebulon Artisan Ales debuts Spring Saison (for Bob Sylvester) on Friday, April 28, in its taproom. The 5.3 percent ABV collaboration with Greenville, S.C.-based Birds Fly South Ale Project is brewed with linden blossoms, elder flowers and chamomile flowers, then fermented with both breweries’ mixed saison blends. 750 milliliter bottles cost $10 each and will also be available at local bottle shops next week.
- Burial Beer Co. will release two new canned offerings on Saturday, April 29, at its brewery. The Prayer Belgian-style Blonde with Apricots (6.2 percent ABV) and The Persistence of Memories Double IPA (8.5 percent ABV) will be available on draft as well as in four-packs of 16-ounce cans, and neither will reach distribution.
- Catawba Brewing Co. taps a Belgian Dubbel (6.5 percent ABV) on Thursday, April 27. This classic abbey-style ale was brewed with crystal malt and Belgian candi sugar and hopped entirely with English Goldings.
- On Thursday, April 27, Asheville Brewing Co. will release Tater Tart Saison on draft at 5 p.m. in advance of its Napoleon Dynamite showing at 7 p.m. Tater Tart Saison is brewed with a Belgian yeast blend and a malt bill of pilsner, Vienna and flaked wheat and hopped with Centennial, Lemondrop and Citra before being dry-hopped.
- Thirsty Monk will release St. Atkins IPA on Friday, April 28. This beer was brewed in honor of Monk owner Barry Bialik‘s latest affordable housing project, a South Asheville
Reasonable Development subdivision of workforce-priced homes constructed by the Monk’s sister company, Compact Cottages.
- On Tuesday, April 25, starting at 5 p.m., Urban Orchard Cider Co. will host the official kick-off party for the annual Just Brew It Homebrew Tasting and Competition presented by Just Economics. The event will allow attendees to meet brewers, get to know some Living Wage Certified Employers and be entered into a raffle. Urban Orchard will release this year’s batch of Tainted Love Raspberry/Berry Seasonal, (6.0 percent ABV), with a portion of the proceeds from this special release this year’s will go to support the work of Just Economics.
- On Thursday, April 27, the people of the Netherlands will celebrate the annual King’s Day honoring the birth of King Willem-Alexander, and two Asheville beer bars will join the party. Pour Taproom will offer La Trappe Witte, Bock and Quad and the downtown Thirsty Monk’s downstairs Belgian bar will also be pouring La Trappe beers.
- Buxton Hall Barbecue will host Pittsburgh brewery Draai Laag and visiting chef Justin Severino for a late-night beer dinner on Thursday, April 27, from 10 p.m. to 2 a.m.