Beer Today, Gone Tomorrow is the one-stop home for Asheville-area beer news. Check back throughout the week for updates and send your own to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Bottle and can releases
- Burial Beer Co. has three packaged releases this week. Friday, Aug. 10, brings The Tearing of Flesh from Bone DIPA (8.2 percent ABV), double dry-hopped with Mosaic and El Dorado, in four-packs of 16-ounce cans for $18. Also out that day is Premium Lager (5.3 percent ABV), a collaboration with Zillicoah Beer Co., mashed with grain from three North Carolina craft maltsters (Riverbend Malt 6-row pils, Carolina Malt pils and Epiphany Malt Foundation Pale) and featuring hops from three U.S. growers (HopHead Farms Zuper Zaazer, Gooding Farms Cluster and Crosby Hop Farms Nugget), in six-packs of 12-ounce cans for $12. They will be joined on Saturday, Aug. 11, by The Prayer Belgian-style Blonde Ale with Apricots (6.2 percent ABV), aged on 900 pounds of fruit, in four-packs of 16-ounce cans for $13.
- **NEW** On Saturday, Aug. 18, at noon, Hi-Wire Brewing releases Blueberry Sour Ale (7.5 percent ABV) at its South Slope Specialty Brewery. The beer was made by aging the brewery’s Sour Blonde Ale on blueberries in oak barrels for 14.5 months. Cork-and-caged 750 milliliter bottles cost $18 and will not see distribution. The beer will also be available on draft.
Small-batch beers and ciders
- UpCountry Brewing Co. is currently pouring a Berliner Weiss. The beer is available as is or with one of four house-made syrups (blueberry-thyme, lemon-ginger, honey-ginger and grapefruit-rosemary) to recreate its traditional German presentation.
- In addition to its can releases also being available on draft, Burial unveils Opus of the Bleeding Orb Gose-style Ale with Cucumbers (6.8 percent ABV) on Tuesday, Aug. 7.
- Catawba Brewing Co. taps an American Amber (5.4 percent ABV) hopped with Mosaic and Amarillo on Thursday, Aug. 9, at all four of its taprooms.
- **NEW** On Thursday, Aug. 9, Sanctuary Brewing Co. releases Nectarine Farmer’s Reserve (4.1 percent ABV). The last beer in the brewery’s Farmers Market Farmhouse Summer Series is a kettle-soured Berliner Weisse featuring one pound of Henderson County fruit per gallon.
- **NEW** As of Thursday, Aug. 9, Whistle Hop Brewing Co. is pouring its Orange Blossom Ginger Tripel, brewed with orange blossom honey, sweet orange peel and fresh ginger root.
- On Friday, Aug. 10, Highland Brewing Co. releases Muggle Fuggle (3.9 percent ABV), an English light mild brewed with Fuggle hops. Crafted by Jesse Lapinski as part of Highland’s Brewer’s Series, the beer will also be available in a traditional pin cask.
- Thirsty Monk Biltmore Park celebrates the release of Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.‘s Oktoberfest on Thursday, Aug. 9. The 2018 edition is a collaboration with the world’s oldest brewery, Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan in Freising, Germany, and will be served in limited-edition steins that customers can take home.
- To commemorate the release of its collaborative Premium Lager, Burial and Zillicoah will join forces for an Off-Topic session Friday, Aug. 10, 6-7:30 p.m. at Burial. Tickets are $10 at the door and include a branded Burial taster glass to keep and shared beers from Zillicoah. Tickets will be available starting at 5:30 p.m.
- Burial and Table restaurant team up for a Farmhouse Dinner at Gaining Ground Farm on Sunday, Aug. 12, at 6 p.m. Each of the five courses will be paired with a Burial beer, with additional options available for purchase. Tickets are $65 per person, not including tax and gratuity, and reservations may be made by emailing email@example.com or calling 828-254-8980.
- Sideways Farm & Brewing in Etowah is officially open. Tasting room hours are Fridays 4-8 p.m. and Saturdays noon-8 p.m.
- Fermented Nonsense Brewing, located in Craft Centric Taproom & Bottle Shop, has its official release party on Friday, Aug. 10, 6-11:30 p.m. There will be four rotating taps that will start off with Peach’s Tropical Milkshake (Peach Mango Milkshake IPA), Fun in the Sun – Peach Apricot (Gose), Fun in the Sun – Strawberry Pineapple (Gose), and Mother of Hops (West Coast Style IPA).
- **NEW** Nantahala Brewing Co. will open its Asheville Outpost in the former Anchor Bar location at 747 Haywood Road by the end of August. The venue will feature a rotating selection of over 20 of the brewery’s beers, a music venue, a full kitchen and a downstairs restaurant.