Beer Today, Gone Tomorrow is the one-stop home for Asheville-area beer news. Check back throughout the week for updates and send your own to email@example.com.
- Catawba Brewing Co. King Don’s Pumpkin Ale returns Thursday, Aug. 11.
- Wicked Weed Brewing will have a pre-sale for its White Angel barrel-aged American sour at noon Sunday, Aug. 14, via Brown Paper Tickets. The beer is aged in 500-liter puncheons with 2 pounds per gallon of whole, North Carolina-grown muscadine grapes. After maturation in the neutral oak vessels, the sour is refermented on an extra 2 pounds per gallon of muscadines to impart a tannic grape character. Each 500-milliliter bottle costs $20 (plus processing fees and North Carolina sales tax). There will be an option for purchasing a 12 pack or a six pack. Limit one purchase per person. Bottles can be picked up at the Funkatorium on Saturday, Aug. 27, or Sunday, Aug. 28, from noon until closing.
- Hi-Wire Brewing releases BARNAbrew ESB on Thursday, Aug. 11, at 5 p.m. at its Big Top location. The beer was made in honor of the annual Barnaroo music festival, which takes place Friday, Sept. 30, through Sunday, Oct. 2 at Franny’s Farm in Leicester. BARNAbrew will be available at the Big Top until the festival’s start date, after which it will be on tap at the festival. Also pouring at both taprooms starting Thursday, Aug. 11 is The Long Goodbye Oatmeal Porter (7.4 percent ABV) and the South Slope speciality brewery has a cask of Bed Of Nails Brown with Cocoa Nibs starting Friday, Aug. 12.
- On Friday, Aug. 12, Burial Beer Co. releases Spikeharrow Oat Session IPA (4.7 percent ABV), brewed with a grist of 100 percent malted oats and liberally dry-hopped with the T’n’T hop blend. It will be followed on Saturday, Aug. 13, by Springbok African Bock (8 percent ABV), a strong lager brewed with a traditional cereal mash as well as rooibos and honeybush teas.
- Pisgah Brewing Co. will release Little Slaty IPA at 5 p.m. Friday, Aug. 12, in its taproom in honor of the Blue Ridge Parkway’s 100th Anniversary. The extra pale ale is focused on an aromatic hop profile and has a medium-light grain bill. For every pint sold, $1 will be donated to the Blue Ridge Parkway Foundation. Starting at 8 p.m., there will be free music from Vibe and Direct on the indoor stage.
- On Thursday, Aug. 11, at 4 p.m., Thirsty Monk hosts Cider Fest at its Biltmore Park and Woodfin locations, featuring a selection of ciders from Western North Carolina and beyond.
- Bruisin’ Ales‘ free weekly tasting takes place 5-7 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 11, and features selections from Victory Brewing Co. Samples of Prima Pils, Helios Farmhouse Ale, Storm King Imperial Stout, Tart Ten Belgian-style Dubbel with Brettanomyces and Sour Monkey Belgian-style Tripel with Brettanomyces will be poured.
- Advance $30 early-bird tickets for the Tryon Beer Fest are on sale through Aug. 31. The fifth annual Oktoberfest-style event is set for Saturday, Nov. 5, from noon-6 p.m. in the Tryon Depot Plaza. Starting Sept. 1, the cost of advance tickets rises to $35 and will be $40 at the gate. Attendance will be capped at 1,200 attendees.
- Wicked Weed Brewing begins distribution to Colorado beginning the week of Monday, Aug. 15.