Beer Today, Gone Tomorrow is the one-stop home for Asheville-area beer news. Check back throughout the week for updates and send your own to email@example.com.
- Highland Brewing Co. releases Southern Sixer IPA (6 percent ABV) on Friday, Jan. 27, at 4 p.m. The West Coast-inspired IPA is made with six American hops varieties and is available in six-packs of 12-ounce bottles and on draft.
- Burial Beer Co. Houtenhamer Double Barrel-Aged Imperial Stout (10 percent ABV) makes its debut in 500-milliliter bottles at its taproom on Saturday, Jan. 28, at noon. Brewed with lactose and molasses sugar, 85 percent of Houtenhamer was brandy barrel-aged for six months and then bourbon barrel-aged for an additional six months. After aging in the barrels for one year, it was then blended with 15 percent young steel-aged stout. $11 per bottle. Surf Wax IPA (6.8 percent ABV) will also be available Jan. 28 in six-packs of 12-ounce cans and Skillet Donut Stout (8 percent ABV) will be available in four-packs of 16-ounce cans. This will be the last batch of Skillet canned until June.
- In addition tapping Houtenhamer and Surf Wax on Jan. 28, Burial Beer Co. also releases The Remains Belgian-style Dubbel (8 percent ABV), fermented within old wine barrels, on Tuesday, Jan. 24, and Machete Brett Farmhouse Ale (5.5 percent ABV) — concocted through a two-stage fermentation, initially with the brewery’s house saison blend and finished with a house blend of brettanomyces — on Wednesday, Jan. 25. Also, Thursday, Jan. 26, brings Bonedagger Pale Ale (5.5 percent ABV), dry-hopped with Amarillo, Eureka and Simcoe.
- Oskar Blues Brewery rolls out New England IPA (6.95 percent ABV) on Tuesday, Jan. 24.
- On Thursday, Jan. 26, Catawba Brewing Co. releases Blood Orange IPA in its South Slope Tasting Room and Brewery.
- **NEW** Hops & Vines‘ Friday Beer Tasting for Jan. 27 features selections from Bell’s Brewery, hosted by Bell’s reps, from 5-7 p.m. Free samples of Roundhouse India Red Ale (on draft), Oatsmobile Pale Ale and Smitten Golden Rye Pale Ale will be poured and take-home containers of all three beers will be available at a 10 percent discount.
- **NEW** On Saturday, Jan. 28, Hops & Vines hosts a homebrew class from 12-4 p.m. Participants will learn how to make an Oreo Stout. Contact the store for more information.
- **NEW** Sanctuary Brewing Co. celebrates its one year anniversary on Sunday, Jan. 29, from 12-8 p.m. The special Beerversary draft list includes such new beers as Blonde Sour Ale (Sanctuary’s first barrel aged beer), Brett Imperial Stout, Oatmeal Cookie Brown Ale, Jalapeno Raspberry Saison and SMaSH, a single malt/single hop recipe made with Southern Cross hops.
Before you comment
The comments section is here to provide a platform for civil dialogue on the issues we face together as a local community. Xpress is committed to offering this platform for all voices, but when the tone of the discussion gets nasty or strays off topic, we believe many people choose not to participate. Xpress editors are determined to moderate comments to ensure a constructive interchange is maintained. All comments judged not to be in keeping with the spirit of civil discourse will be removed and repeat violators will be banned. See here for our terms of service. Thank you for being part of this effort to promote respectful discussion.