Beer Today, Gone Tomorrow is the one-stop home for Asheville-area beer news. Check back throughout the week for updates and send your own to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Burial Beer Co. has four releases this week. Monday, July 25, saw the return of Gang of Blades DIPA (8.2 percent ABV), brewed with Belma, Amarillo, Mandarina, Simcoe, Columbus and other hops. Biere de Chickpea (6.6 percent ABV), the latest in The Forge staff series, debuts Tuesday, July 26, and is brewed with pilsner, Vienna, and flaked wheat, hopped with Columbus and Sorachi Ace and fermented on chickpeas, toasted pita and toasted sesame seeds. Wednesday, July 27 brings The Parable of the Sower Herbal Saison (7 percent ABV), built on a grist of Vienna, naked oats, rice and honey malt and fermented on rooibos tea, sweet orange peel, barberry, golden raisins and Calimyrna figs. The Priory Hommel Bier (7.5 percent ABV), a Belgian-style pale brewed with Riverbend pilsner, flaked wheat, Munich and Vienna malts, hopped with Belma and Wai-iti and lime peel and barrel-fermented in a blend of old oak casks, will be tapped Friday, July 29.
- On Monday, July 25, Green Man Brewery tapped Grüner Mann Radler (4 percent ABV), made with grapefruit and blood orange, exclusively at its Greenmansion. Also pouring as of Friday, July 29 are India Pale Lager (6.1 percent ABV), Eldo’s Dry Hop Australian Summer Berliner Weisse (4.5 percent ABV), and Wheatseeker Hefeweizen (4.8 percent ABV).
- Asheville Brewing Co. releases Beerwine, a cabernet sauvignon barrel-aged porter with sour cherries, on Friday, July 29, at 5 p.m. Aged in a wine barrel for nine months, the 5.6 percent ABV twist on Ninja Porter will be available on draft only at the Merrimon Avenue and Coxe Avenue brewpubs.
- On Friday, July 29, Twin Leaf Brewery taps The Peachy Arsonist (6.2 percent ABV), a kettle sour brewed with Copper Fox Distillery peach wood-smoked malt and fermented on 600 pounds of fresh Carolina peaches, and Floral Wit (5.8 percent ABV), a Belgian-style wit brewed with hibiscus, chamomile, rose hips and honey.
- On Friday, July 29, Hi-Wire Brewing taps a cask of Gose with pineapple (4.2 percent ABV) at its South Slope location.
- On Wednesday, July 27, Thirsty Monk celebrates Belgian Independence Day in the downstairs Belgian bar at its downtown location. A lineup of classic Belgian beers will be on tap, and there will be giveaways for Belgian for a Day t-shirts and Duvel glassware.
- Bruisin’ Ales has two free tastings this week. Selections from Champion Brewing Co. will be featured Thursday, July 28, from 5-7 p.m., including samples of Shower Beer Bohemian-style pilsner, Tart sour wheat ale, Falconer hoppy pale wheat ale and Fruitless DIPA. On Friday, July 29, from 5-7 p.m., the focus shifts to Olde Hickory Brewery with samples of Hefeweizen, Ruby Lager, Table Rock Pale Ale, Wavell Gunn Scotch Ale and Dread God Imperial Stout.
- On Thursday, July 28, Thirsty Monk Biltmore Park will have the full Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. Beer Camp lineup back on tap for its final run. For 2016, Sierra Nevada paired with six regional brewing teams representing 31 breweries to brew six different beers.
- Construction has begun on Mountain Layers Brewing Co. in Bryson City. Co-founders Kim and Mark Pettit are building the 7-barrel system downtown on Everett Street overlooking the Tuckasegee River and have hired Noah McIntee — formerly of Franklin-based Lazy Hiker Brewing Co. — as general manager and head brewer. Mountain Layers anticipates a grand opening this fall and will have two taprooms, one on the main level and another upstairs.