Beer Today, Gone Tomorrow is the one-stop home for Asheville-area beer news. Check back throughout the week for updates and send your own to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Bottle and can releases
- On Friday, June 8, Highland Brewing Co. releases Hawaiian Lounge Juice (8 percent ABV). The IPA is brewed with passionfruit and mango and hopped with Summit, Mosaic, Azacca and Citra. The release party luau includes a special Hawaiian-inspired menu by The Blind Pig, a fire dancing performance and more. The beer will be available on draft and in six-packs of 12-ounce bottles, which will see limited distribution.
- Burial Beer Co. has a dual DIPA can release on Saturday, June 9. Death in the Distance (7.2 percent ABV), made in collaboration with Jupiter, Fla.-based Civil Society Brewing, is dry-hopped with Citra, Summer, Wai-Iti and double dry-hopped with Amarillo Lupulin powder. Four-packs of 16-ounce cans cost $14. From the Darkness There Will Be Light is double dry-hopped with Enigma and Galaxy. Four-packs of 16-ounce cans cost $18.
- Highland is currently pouring Christopher Oaxacan (6.3 percent ABV), a nitro stout made with chocolate nibs, vanilla beans, cinnamon and almonds. The beer was brewed in collaboration with The Whale and French Broad Chocolates, and inspired by the latter’s Oaxaca Sip! drinking chocolate.
- Hi-Wire Brewing has tapped Rose Trois (10 percent ABV), a sour beer with notes of cranberry, raspberries and red apple, at its South Slope location.
- Wedge Brewing Co. had added a Gose (5 percent ABV), Kolsch (5.3 percent ABV) and Caroliner Weisse (3.2 percent ABV, made exclusively with North Carolina-sourced ingredients) at its Foundation location.
- Thirsty Monk Brewery‘s Hazy Monk IPA (6.7 percent ABV), dry-hopped with over 7 pounds per barrel of Citra, Mosaic and Citra Cryo hops, and Farmhouse IPA (5.7 percent ABV), hopped with Citra, are back on tap at both Thirsty Monk locations.
- In addition to Death in the Distance and From the Darkness, Burial taps two beers this week. Unto Luminous Depths Lemon Meringue Sour Ale (5.5 percent ABV), made with lemon, lime and tangerine peels and aged with ginger root, vanilla beans and cinnamon, is available Tuesday, June 5, followed by The Countess of Internment Belgian-style Pale Ale with Brettanomyces (5.5 percent ABV) on Thursday, June 7.
- Oskar Blues Brewery‘s monthly Barn Burner Series continues Thursday, June 7, with the release of three new beers. Apricot Wheat (5.1 percent ABV) is made with Crystal hops, Antero wheat and apricots from Colorado’s Western Slope; NOOICE! (5.6 percent ABV) is a dry-hopped farmhouse ale brewed with French Saison yeast and hopped with Galaxy, Southern Passion and Loral; and Check Yo’Self Golden DIPA (8.1 percent ABV) is made with experimental HBC 682 hops alongside Simcoe, Mosaic, Amarillo and Pacifica.
- Catawba Brewing Co. taps a Vienna Lager (5 percent ABV) on Thursday, June 7, at all four of its locations. The beer is brewed with lightly kilned malts and German Noble hops.
- On Thursday, June 7, 5-9 p.m., Appalachian Vintner hosts a pre-party for Fonta Flora Brewery’s State of Origin Craft Brew Festival. Many brewers participating in the festival will be at the event, which also includes small bites from The American Pig and limited-release beers from Homeplace Beer Co., Arizona Wilderness Brewing Co., Burial, TRVE Brewing Co., Zebulon Artisan Ales, Newgrass Brewing, Fonta Flora, Fullsteam Brewery and more.
- **NEW** The Whale hosts a Meet the Brewer event with TRVE on Thursday, June 7, 5-10 p.m. Draft and package selections will be available for purchase.