Beer Today, Gone Tomorrow is the one-stop home for Asheville-area beer news. Check back throughout the week for updates and send your own to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- One World Brewing releases Summer Hemp Ale on Thursday, June 9, at 7 p.m. at the Grail Moviehouse. Brewed with over four pounds of organic hemp seeds from Canada, the 5.9 percent ABV ale was made specifically for the theater’s screening of Bringing it Home, a documentary about the many uses of hemp. Tickets to the event, which also features a special edition hemp ice cream from The Hop, hemp hummus from Roots and other hemp products, are available online and at the Grail box office for $10.
- On Thursday, June 9, Oyster House Brewing Co. began pouring Ricky Bobby’s Blueberry Blonde Cask.
- On Friday, June 10, both Hi-Wire Brewing locations began pouring Pink Drink, a 4 percent ABV tart wheat ale with lemongrass and raspberries.
- Hi-Wire Brewing releases batches No. 3 and No. 4 of its Single Barrel Series at noon Saturday, June 11, at its South Slope specialty brewery at 197 Hilliard Ave. Batch No. 3 is a 4.7 percent ABV Berliner weisse soured with lactobacillus in the kettle before undergoing fermentation in a white-wine barrel with German ale yeast and finally bottle conditioned with brettanomyces. Bottles will be $15 each, limit six bottles per person. Batch No. 4 is a 5.5 percent ABV tart saison soured with lactobacillus in the kettle before undergoing a mixed fermentation in a red-wine barrel on passion fruit. Bottles will be $18 each, limit four per person. Production on these beers was limited to 120 bottles each, and they will not see distribution outside of the brewery.
- Fonta Flora Brewery Funk Fuzz, an Appalachian wild ale fermented on oak and stainless steel, will be released as part of this year’s State of Origin Festival on Saturday, June 11. Funk Fuzz is aged with local peaches and nectarines, and has an ABV of 6.4 percent. All bottles are presold with admission to the festival for $86. Bottle tickets are sold out online but may still be available at the brewery. General admission tickets to the festival are still available online for $50, but do not include bottles of Funk Fuzz.
- Wicked Weed Brewing‘s pre-sale for Golden Angel Barrel-Aged American Sour begins Saturday, June 11 at 12 p.m. Customers may purchase a 6-pack or 12-pack of the beer – which is fermented with over four pounds-per-gallon of apricots – and pick it up on Saturday, June 25 or Sunday, June 26. A link to the ticket sale will be posted on the Wicked Weed website on June 11 at 10 a.m.
- On Friday, June 10 at 6 p.m., Appalachian Vintner will tap a cask of Birdsong Brewing Higher Ground IPA.
- Hi-Wire Brewing and Foothills Meats will host the second installment of their Butcher’s Table Series at the Big Top on Thursday, June 9, at 7 p.m. This month’s dinner will feature Craig Deihl of Charleston, S.C.-based Cypress and Artisan Meat Share. Tickets can be purchased online or at the Big Top for $67 each.
- On Thursday, June 9, Thirsty Monk downtown will host Get Canned with Boulevard Brewing Co., a celebration of craft cans featuring brews from Boulevard Brewing Co. including Tropical Pale Ale, Heavy Lifting IPA and Ginger Lemon Radler with Hibiscus Gose on draft.
- Burial Beer Co. has announced a series of Moonlit Art Markets hosted at its brewery at 40 Collier Ave. on the second Thursdays of every month beginning June 9 and running through October. The markets will feature artisans from the Asheville community displaying their work, which will be available for purchase 8-11 p.m.
- Highland Brewing Co. will host a release party for Lost Cove Kolsch on Friday, June 10, from 7-9 p.m. at the brewery. Highland’s summer seasonal, Lost Cove, is a 4.5 percent ABV German-style kolsch. A dollar per pour from the release party will be donated to the Southern Appalachian Highlands Conservancy. Food will be available from food trucks Root Down and Grateful Roots, and singer/songwriter Peter Karp will be playing live.
- Fonta Flora Brewery will host its third annual State of Origin Festival from 3-7 p.m. Saturday, June 11, at the historic Courthouse Square in downtown Morganton. State of Origin showcases beers brewed using exclusively local ingredients. You can read Scott Douglas’ full coverage of the event here.
- The Inn on Biltmore Estate hosts a Barbecue and Brews Dinner at the Antler Hill Barn in Antler Hill Village at 6 p.m. on Saturday, June 11, featuring local craft beers and ciders from Highland Brewing Co., Hi-Wire Brewing, Noble Cider, Brevard Brewing Co., Wicked Weed Brewing, Catawba Brewing Co. and Biltmore Brewing Co.