Beer Today, Gone Tomorrow is the one-stop home for Asheville-area beer news. Check back throughout the week for updates and send your own to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Bottle and can releases
- On Friday, March 10, at 2 p.m., Burial Beer Co. Winnower Chocolate and Raspberry Porter (7 percent ABV) makes its can debut in four-packs of 16-ounce cans. French Broad Chocolates will be on site from 4-7 p.m. with Winnower-inspired confections for purchase. That same day, a very limited quantity of Self-Titled Album: Chorus (10 percent ABV), an imperial stout aged on cocoa nibs, coconut and coffee, will be for sale in 750-milliliter bottles for $16. Limit two bottles per person.
- Highland Brewing Co. releases Wolfgang 1756 Vienna-style Lager (4.7 percent ABV) on Friday, March 10, at 4 p.m. Crafted in honor of Mozart and to help kick off the Asheville Symphony’s Amadeus Festival, the beer will be available on draft and in 22-ounce bottles at the brewery and in limited quantities in Highland’s distribution area.
- In addition to Winnower, Chorus and the return of Gang of Blades Double IPA (8.3 percent ABV) on Friday, March 10, Burial has two draft releases this week. Firestick India Pale Ale (6 percent ABV), hopped with Citra and Mosaic hops, will be tapped Tuesday, March 7, followed by The Melancholy of Departure Wine Barrel-Aged Saison (7 percent ABV) — a clean-fermented saison hopped with Northern Brewer, Saaz and Willamette, then aged in fresh red wine barrels for six months — on Wednesday, March 8.
- Catawba Brewing Co. releases India Pale Lager (5.8 percent ABV) on Thursday, March 9. Using a comparable malt bill to a Vienna Lager, the beer was cold-fermented with lager yeast and hopped with Huell Melon. A portion of proceeds benefits the Appalachian Trail Conservancy.
- Bruisin’ Ales‘ free weekly tasting takes place Thursday, March 9, from 5-7 p.m. and features selections from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. Samples of the newest offerings in the brewery’s flagship lineup will be poured, as well as a barrel-aged limited release or two.
- **NEW** Hops & Vines hosts a free tasting of Stone Brewing Co. beers on Friday, March 10, from 6-8 p.m. Samples of Give Me IPA or Give Me Death and Pataskala Red X IPA will be poured from bottles and Go To IPA will be on draft.
- On Monday, March 13, at 7 p.m., BREW-ed‘s Cliff Mori leads a Q&A with Hi-Wire Brewing representatives at the brewery’s Big Top facility. Free and open to the public.