Beer Today, Gone Tomorrow is the one-stop home for Asheville-area beer news. Check back throughout the week for updates and send your own to email@example.com.
Bottle and can releases
- Burial Beer Co. and Zebulon Artisan Ales‘ collaborative Fierce Invalids Hoppy Pilsner (5 percent ABV) debuts in cans and on draft Saturday, May 20, at noon at Burial. Brewed with a simple pilsner base and a dose of tropical lime zest, the beer was then hopped with Mandarina, Wakatu and Cashmere.
- Catawba Brewing Co. unveils its new flagship HOPness IPA (6.5 percent ABV) on Saturday, May 20, at all Catawba locations. Brewed with fresh Citra and Cascade hops, then dry-hopped with Amarillo, the IPA will be available on draft and in six-packs of cans throughout Catawba’s distribution footprint.
- In addition to Fierce Invalid, Burial has four new draft offerings this week, beginning with Dope Chocolate Vanilla Imperial Stout (9 percent ABV) on Wednesday, May 17, and Misery Whip Barrel Aged Rye IPA (6.5 percent ABV) — dry-hopped with Cashmere, El Dorado and Mosaic — on Thursday, May 18. Surf Wax IPA (6.5 percent ABV) returns on Saturday, May 20, along with Deep in the Orbit Sour Pale Ale (5.5 percent ABV), which was fermented with a blend of ale yeast and a locally foraged, native-souring bacteria, aged on mango and passionfruit purée and hopped with Galaxy and Comet.
- On Thursday, May 18, Catawba releases California Common (5.5 percent ABV). The brewery’s interpretation of the classic steam beer was brewed according to tradition, with a touch of dark specialty malts and lagered at warmer temperatures.
- One World Brewing celebrates its third anniversary on Friday, May 19, with the release of You Sexy Mother Pucker, a blackberry sour ale, and Slay-son of Love, which mixes the brewery’s house saison yeast strain with brettanomyces.
- Hi-Wire Brewing‘s How Do You Lagerfest? returns Saturday, May 20, from noon-5 p.m. at the brewery’s Big Top production facility. Over 15 lagers will be on tap, and there will also be a crawfish boil and games, including soccer pool. The $10 entry fee includes a custom beer glass and two beer tokens.
- **NEW** On Saturday, May 20, from 4 p.m. to midnight, Burial will take over six taps at The Black Cloud.
Breweries for sale
- Sylva’s Heinzelmännchen Brewery is on the market as of Friday, May 12. Those interested in purchasing the brewery can call Brian Good of National Restaurant Properties at 225-4801. In the meantime, the brewery will remain open.