Beer Today, Gone Tomorrow is the one-stop home for Asheville-area beer news. Check back throughout the week for updates and send your own to email@example.com.
Bottle and can releases
- On Wednesday, May 3, at 4 p.m., Burial Beer Co. releases Ritualknife Black Braggot (9.3 percent ABV). The collaboration with TRVE Brewing collaboration was made in July 2016 with ballad malt, hopped with Aramis, Northern Brewer and Saaz, then aged for eight months in brandy barrels. It will be available for purchase in 500-milliliter bottles and on draft. A very limited number of the two breweries’ Denver-brewed collaboration, Slow Death Dark Mixed Culture Ale, will also be available for bottle service and carry out alongside TRVE’s Mazeroth Double IPA. Additional TRVE beers will be featured on draft.
- In addition to Ritualknife, Burial taps new batches of Shadowclock Pilsner (4.5 percent ABV) – made with German barley, American corn and dry-hopped with Sterling and Tettnanger – on Wednesday, May 3, and Surf Wax IPA (6.8 percent ABV) – hopped with Mosaic, Citra, Centennial and Columbus – on Friday, May 5.
- On Wednesday, May 3, Wedge Brewing Co. rolls out its Witbier. Spiced with coriander and orange peel, it features a grain bill composed of raw wheat berries, pilsner malt and oats.
- Catawba Brewing Co. releases a Cinco de Mayo Molé Stout (5.5. percent ABV) on Thursday, May 4. Brewed with cinnamon and dried ancho and chipotle chili peppers, the beer was then aged on cocoa nibs, whole cloves and habañero peppers.
- Thirsty Monk Brewery debuts New Classic Ale on Saturday, May 6, at 1 p.m. at its 92 Thompson St. warehouse during the Medieval Kids Faire. The easy-drinking Belgian-style ale combines mild spices from Nine Mile and rich cocoa from French Broad Chocolates. Each $10 adult admission includes a take-home bottle of the collaboration beer.
- **NEW** As of Friday, May 5, Hi-Wire Brewing is pouring Tropical Sour Weisse with Passion Fruit and Guava (4.2 percent ABV) and Peach Berliner Weisse (3.1 percent ABV) at both of its locations.
- Bruisin’ Ales has two free tastings this week. On Thursday, May 4, from 5-7 p.m., farmhouse ales from Blackberry Farm Brewery will be poured. Then on Friday, May 5, from 5-7 p.m., new offerings from Wicked Weed Brewing are the featured beverages.
- Burial‘s fourth annual Sharpen the Blades Saison Fest takes place Saturday, May 6, from 2-10 p.m. Saisons from over 30 breweries from North Carolina and around the country will be available for purchase.