- It was Josef Albers who invited the Lawrences for the 1946 summer session. They were provided with private transportation to shield them from segregation.The South African a cappella group reflects on 30 years of international acclaim and U.S. touring.The band came together in 2012 almost by accident, according to saxophonist Pauly Juhl. “A friend's sister was getting married,” he recalls, “and she wanted a New Orleans-style brass band…Hosted in conjunction with The Friends of the Buncombe County Library, WORD! takes place at the Pack Memorial Library auditorium on Saturday, Feb. 25.The production will open at Toy Boat Community Arts Space on Friday, Feb. 24.The local production, benefiting Helpmate, takes place at The Orange Peel on Saturday, Feb. 25.Lowland Hum performs at The Grey Eagle on Sunday, Feb. 26.Joe Buck Yourself and Nate Hall of USX open the show at The Odditorium on Friday, Feb. 24.Music educator Jason DeCristofaro has planned a dozen benefit concerts to support various nonprofits. The next event takes place at The BLOCK off Biltmore on Sunday, Feb. 26, and features…
- Expanded bus routes and hours could help more Asheville residents gain consistent access to healthy food. But a more effective city transit system may be a little way down the…Breweries fete New Orleans and North Carolina with upcoming events.Cake, cocktails and music will be in play at Short Street Cakes' eight-year anniversary event. Also this week: tequila tastings, a Winter Beer Dinner, New Orleans cuisine and more.
- Substance abuse programs in WNC focus on education and collaboration, spreading the message of hope and encouragement while acknowledging that much work remains to be done.
- Asheville filmmakers' works will screen at festivals in Richmond and New York City.
- “We’re really proud of this series,” says Marisa Blake, IamAVL’s marketing manager. “The main purpose of it is to provide a unique musical experience by blending the magic of a…
- AshevilleAshevilleAn diverse and influential group looks to incrementally implement universal preschool in Buncombe County. Xpress takes an in-depth look at the organization, logistics and potential costs behind the effort.A group of innovative strategies collectively known as “in situ remediation” could dramatically improve the prospects for addressing groundwater and soil contamination at several local hazardous waste sites more quickly…
- "I feel the best solution is for the city, county or state government to impose and enforce a law on property, home and business owners to routinely clean up around…"What was once a solid path to the middle class has been destroyed in the name of lower prices.""If a friend, co-worker or neighbor shows support or even an open mind toward the president, he or she is ridiculed, cursed, derided, even smeared. Does that show love, tolerance…"The passionate and well-trained volunteer tutors at the Literacy Council’s Augustine Project and R2S fill a critical need within our community. They help students overcome barriers to educational success, building…"More power to these 10-year-old protest organizers. They show more guts and honesty than a lot of grown-ups I hear whining about — and doing little about —the state of…"Land values went sky high, and huge inns were built to accommodate the visitors. The kingdom was awash in gold, and ornate schools and offices were being built at a…We’re challenging our readers to strive for more civil, respectful discourse in the online comments on our site.