- The latest galleries to arrive in Asheville focus on a number of different medias, from acrylic paintings to sculpture and functional glassware to lettering.A trio of Australia-based scholars and artists discuss and perform works at Black Mountain College Museum + Arts Center on Dec. 13.Curated by Joshua Marc Levy, the group show of gig posters by local illustrators runs through Sunday, Jan. 7, at Push Skate Shop and Gallery.Asheville artist Tim Arem's one-man Japanese-themed family circus theater experience will be performed Dec. 10 at The Altamont Theatre.McDaniel has also published two books, including the 2014 poetry and short-story hybrid Misty’s Blues, and is currently at work on a novel. “My community, the African-American community, has been…The holiday classic returns to Diana Wortham Theatre Dec. 8-10.The skits include a poke or two at Donald and Ivana Trump, unhappy reindeer, a self-help Santa who ends up on a rant about fallen celebrities, and the appearance of…On Saturday, Dec. 9, Christine Garvin, her dance students and her professional dance troupe will be bringing back a much-loved seasonal tradition, Ho-Ho-Holiday Rewind — a hilariously entertaining holiday-themed variety…The evening of Cherokee music and dance takes place Dec. 7 at Blue Ridge Community College’s Thomas Auditorium in Flat Rock.The 24-hour Dungeons & Dragons game to benefit Levine Children's Hospital runs Dec. 8-9 at The Wyvern's Tale.
- It's easy to make fermented sauerkraut and pickles at home using just a few simple ingredients and inexpensive supplies.The two long-awaited Asheville beer businesses are set to launch this month.Holiday festivals and gatherings are in the works at West Village Market & Deli, Blue Ridge Food Venture and Addison Farms Vineyard. Also, Farm Burger South Asheville hosts a Farm…
- If you're in need of an herbal supplement, you're likely to find it in one of Asheville's many herb stores, which carry products for overall health as well as specific…
- The Grail and Asheville Jewish Community Center present a documentary about Israel's influential Farag photography business, Pack Library offers a Star Wars refresher and more.
- In 1929, the Grove Arcade opened. The building's original competition date was scheduled for the summer of 1927. But the death of its developer, E.W. Grove, led to a two-year…Some fix saddles, while others service slot machines. Shoes, shirts and cameras are also on the table at several esoteric repair shops scattered throughout Asheville and Western North Carolina.Movers and shakers on progressive issues have had increasing success in Buncombe County politics since the turn of the century. Activists and organizers on the left have carved out a…Asheville’s a crystal town, and rock shops flourish here. In the Grove Arcade, Enter the Earth sells stickers declaring “Crystal Toting Tree Hugger,” and many locals and tourists alike take…
- "My concern is that transportation availability is limited for vets for accessing health services and other essential destinations such as grocery stores. I am encouraging our citizens to help by…"I believe we need to help the Democrats who stand up for the good of all and to unify around these candidates at the voting booths. This is why a…"Asheville obviously has a housing shortage, and I’m not sure what the apartment protesters think the answer is to that problem."ASHEVILLE"As a progressive city with a 'food destination' reputation, it is our responsibility to make an equitable food system a goal and to make food policy and programs a high…"How did Asheville get duped by a 'snowflake imposter'?!"ASHEVILLE"It is a surefire way to reinforce conservative people’s preconceived notions of 'the Other' and delegitimize the valid, broad-based — and mostly mainstream — tranche of citizenry fighting the 'good…"For all of us, I believe, it was inspirational and encouraging to hear the high school students’ viewpoints: intelligent and thoughtful."