- The Asheville-based author discusses her first film adaptation and the process of writing her second horror novel.McDivitt shares his theories of the supernatural and his work as a guide for Haunted Asheville.The Horror Anthology film series returns. Plus: A new book spotlights two ghostly WNC tales; "Dark Corners" podcast wraps up third season; and more!
- Like every small town and big city in America, Asheville faced unprecedented challenges when COVID-19 turned the entire restaurant industry upside down, sending many to a takeout-only model that required…Two very different yet beloved events are back, along with a new study that gauges the area brewing industry's economic impact.Radha Indian Grocers opens in West Asheville. Plus: Cane Creek Valley Farm launches Farm Kitchen; Halloween festivities planned at numerous eateries; and plenty more!
- White nose syndrome, a fungal disease first seen in Western North Carolina in 2011, has reduced some local bat populations by as much as 95%. And climate change poses a…When Elizabeth learned that she was pregnant, she cried tears of joy. “I heard his heartbeat, and that was it,” she says. (Xpress is using her middle name to protect…
- In 1918, city officials prohibited Halloween due to influenza. A year later, Asheville residents were eager to celebrate.Planned improvements to Memorial Stadium, located just east of the Asheville Tourists' McCormick Field, include new artificial turf with improved drainage, new stormwater infrastructure, the installation of sidewalks and access…To move clients from reliance on shelters and services to self-sufficiency, homeless advocates say, community support and permanent affordable housing are key — and their lack is the main barrier…A combination of increased demand due to the COVID-19 pandemic and low staffing levels has led to emergency response times well above national standards, said Rafael Baptista, the county's director…
- "That curve of Meadow Road near the Norfolk Southern railroad entrance is so nice to drive on now!""I would like to know why North Carolina, Buncombe County and the city of Asheville don’t help people with disabilities.""In my years as a reporter, a Council member and a city voter, I've not seen a more qualified and experienced entrant to the Asheville political scene.""So some friends and I drove up there for a little spooky fun, and I turned the car off."Was it a house of death and tumult or a peaceful place? Tom Muir, historic site manager at the Thomas Wolfe Memorial, considers the Old Kentucky Home during its heyday…"As we approached the curve at the cemetery on the hill at the Baptist church, imagine my surprise ...""Woodfin town commissioner candidates Eric Edgerton, Jim McAllister and Hazel Thornton are endorsed by the Sierra Club and committed to open government practices and protecting our environment in Woodfin.""After that night, many times we would be sitting in the same room and suddenly smell a waft of perfume, as if someone just walked by.""I would respectfully encourage everyone to cast your votes for Hazel Thornton, Jim McAllister and Eric Edgerton. Each of them seems to share my philosophy of good government.""After seven months on a mountain, a lot of the forest’s sounds become normal. Not this night.""Fifty years ago, when I was a teenager, two carloads of us went up to the Zealandia Mansion to see the legendary ghost."Docents and visitors alike report unease inside the basement of the Smith-McDowell House Museum, notes its Public Programs Director, Trevor Freeman.