- Three bands, five bucks — that's the basics of the local showcase taking the stage at The Orange Peel on Friday, April 3, at 9 p.m.Watercolors, colored pencil, collage and ink converge in the surreal artwork of Karen Noel, who says she feels “captivated by the Blue Ridge Mountains and the colors of the seasons."Any examination into heavy metal in Asheville runs into the inevitable gray area of what metal music is. And while this variety makes it difficult at times to tell who…After several months away from stages, the quintet is eager to resume its mission of presenting the bedazzled pop icon's lesser-known gems alongside chart-topping hits, all while preserving original musical…The reunited group shares the bill with Holy Ghost Tent Revival at The Grey Eagle on Saturday, April 4.On a summer evening in 1952, a handful of people at Black Mountain College forever changed the course of modern art with a single performance — the world’s first happening.…The story is as chilling as it is compelling, and early reviews (from the likes of Pulitzer Prize-winning author Adam Johnson and Lauren Groff, author of Arcadia) suggest the novel…
- During the past few weeks, these cooks have gotten used to serving three-course meals to whoever shows up. But there are no point-of-sale systems, uniformed waitresses or fancy, laminated menus…As a relatively new winery, Addison Farms Vineyard is still experiencing many firsts, and on Saturday, April 11, owners Jeff and Dianne Frisbee will embark on another new venture —…Spring is a time for new beginnings, so it’s fitting that Catawba Brewing Co. is kicking off the season by embarking on the next stage of the company’s future in…“People are crazy for chips because they’re everything that our prehistoric brains say we love: fat, salt and crunch,” says Ashevillean Chris Bryant, and Asheville's gourmet potato chip scene seems…
- Since 1996, the Asheville Music School has been strengthening Western North Carolina communities through affordable music education and outreach, teaching musicians of all ages and abilities. To help reach those…We know how to pack our days full of activities, but how many of us really know how to stop, take time off and experience true rest? Instead, we tend…
- Film news from the Asheville Area Arts Council, the Asheville Art Museum and Gorilla with a Mustache Films, and the premiere of Buskin' Blues.
- When will cleanup begin at the contaminated CTS site on Mills Gap Road? According to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency's project manager for the Superfund site— 2016.The sun is shining on those who want more competition in the N.C. energy marketplace. A series of bills recently introduced into the state legislature aim to diversify the energy…An article published last month in Governing magazine examined 191 cities around the country, comparing average hourly wages with each city's cost of living. The analysis included big cities like…The 3 ½ day conference brought together industry leaders and community business activists to advance local economies, and it convened dozens of breakout sessions.
- "I don’t know if you’d call it romantic, but I did spend Valentine’s Day with my husband, and we were holding hands. He was supporting me as we made our…"I had the opportunity to live in Asheville for four months, and out of their vehicles, these people were perhaps the friendliest, kindest, most welcoming I have ever encountered anywhere.""Thanks for the amazing artworks in your 'Kids Issue.' Is there any way we can see the original works?""These young people are hopeful, passionate and committed about the environment, animal rights, tolerance and the importance of being oneself.""The impression given is that we member-owners of the co-op only called our meeting after learning of Katuah's planned closing, like we were 'jumping' on an opportunity to take advantage…"The issue of lack of healthy food access will not go away unless changes are made in the way that people are able to access healthy foods."