- When Asheville-based storyteller Connie Regan-Blake embarked on her career more than 40 years ago, there were only two storytelling festivals in the country. That was in the mid-’70s; “Now every…This week: MetroWines transforms into a living estate-sale venue, a new Cajun restaurant comes to downtown and The Market Place has ramps.The Asheville Beat Tape Collective exists to connect local electronic musicians with national talent, often hosting multi-artist performances like the group's upcoming two-night stint at Asheville Music Hall.Catch the nationally known star at The Millroom, where he'll translate his odd sense of humor into a stand-up routine.N.C. author David Joy's new His new novel, Where All Light Tends to Go, has garnered comparisons to “Breaking Bad,” “Sons of Anarchy” and “Justified.”From the early 1890s until his death in 1922, Mangum, who was born and based in Durham, traveled all over North Carolina, Virginia and West Virginia, photographing anybody and everybody…Bishop stumbled upon his latest challenge — a spellbinding parlor guitar — in Tangier, Morocco. This six-stringed muse inspired an improvised collection of seductive tunes titled Tangier Sessions, which showcases…Coming out of a tumultuous year that saw two of its founding members depart, Asheville-based (though originally from Brooklyn) The Broadcast is gearing up for what looks to be its…The band brings the energy of New Orleans back to Western North Carolina — releasing their new album, Here & Gone Again, at Isis Restaurant & Music Hall on Saturday,…
- How do we build a community around another beverage that has innate healing qualities?
- An interfaith panel and workshop session presented by the United Religions Initiative of Henderson County will explore how six faith traditions can inform our actions on behalf of the planet…Mother Earth News Fair returns to the Western North Carolina Agriculture Center on Saturday, April 11, and Sunday, April 12, marking the fair’s second consecutive appearance in Asheville. The fair…Anam Cara Theatre Company strives to provide the community with progressive, thought provoking theater, incorporating music, art and the written and spoken word into their productions. Next up on its…Wellness news and events in Buncombe County and beyond.
- This week: The Full Frame Documentary Film Festival, the first trailer for Asheville-shot Masterminds and a new video from the Asheville Convention & Visitors Bureau.
- Habitat for Humanity International recently ranked the Asheville ReStore second in gross sales among the parent nonprofit’s nearly 800 such retail shops. Habitat's corporate headquarters, which mentors stores in other…The upcoming restoration of the Vance monument is said to honor the memory of Zebulon Vance, Confederate military officer and wartime governor. But there’s another side to this story. By…During his decadeslong career, journalist, editor and author David E. Gumpert has written about everything from food rights to entrepreneurship to family history. But in recent years, he’s focused on…"I was, and am, extremely saddened by the closing of Katuah [Market] and have the utmost respect and appreciation to Swann for creating such a meaningful and healthy place.... But…Raw milk comes straight from the cow — it hasn’t been pasteurized (heated to high temperatures for specific lengths of time to kill potentially harmful pathogens). Though both the FDA…Smokey’s Tavern brands itself as Asheville’s oldest continuously operating bar — “same location, same name, same everything” since the 1950s, says owner Gene Masters. But after 60 years of beer…Can a community initiative rise from the ground up, with no leaders and no set agenda? The answer is yes, and it’s apparent in newly affixed “Ole Town Candler” bumper…
- "In response to the query, “Where can we see local student artwork?" the Asheville City Schools Youth Art Month exhibit will open on Sunday, May 3, and run through Thursday,…"I find this amusing, as, having lived on the East Coast, Rocky Mountains and West Coast, I have found Western North Carolina the least traffic-aware and most careless driving region…"In integrative medicine, we integrate whatever works and make decisions in partnership with fully informed clients.""The name is not something new, nor is it related to the terrorist group. The name Isis goes back to ancient Egypt.""Having the citizens be able to choose what kind of power they will pay for is so very, very long overdue."