- Gail Godwin returns to Malaprop’s to discuss 'Grief Cottage,' in conversation with journalist and historian Rob Neufeld, on Wednesday, June 14.The benefit show takes place at The Mothlight on Wednesday, June 14.Tyson will present the talk “An Astrophysicist Goes to the Movies” at the Thomas Wolfe Auditorium on Tuesday, June 13.This month’s lineup includes Peter Smith-McDowell, Hilliary Begley and headliner Macon Clark on Sunday, June 11.Sarah Louise Henson and Sally Anne Morgan pool their considerable knowledge of traditional music while embracing minimalism and experimentation.This season, two new events — the Better Dads Festival and Xpand Fest — are launching in downtown Asheville. A little further out in Hot Springs, ballad singers and hikers…The band celebrates that release with two shows at The Grey Eagle on Friday and Saturday, June 9 and 10.The play examines a dizzying series of events in the lives of two young British strangers who meet at a barbecue. They chase each other through ups and downs, infidelities,…Three performances will take place on Thursday and Friday, June 8 and 9, at 7 p.m., and Saturday, June 10, at 3 p.m., on The BeBe Theatre Stage.
- Black-Eyed Susan Cafe is now open in Black Mountain. Also, Buxton Presents celebrates Fonta Flora's State of Origin Festival, Asheville VeganFest returns, Metro Wines hosts a class and more Asheville…New farmers markets emerge and established markets move to innovative locations as Asheville businesses seek fresh ways to interact with the community.Creating a subculture around symbiotic cultures? That’s precisely what is happening in Western North Carolina’s fast-growing fermented food and beverage industries. Cultivating beneficial microorganisms to yield tasty drinks and foods that…L.A. McCrae discusses plans for the area's first black, queer, female-owned brewery.
- Asheville is on the leading edge of recovery therapies, with two new businesses offering treatment for injuries, dehydration, hangovers, jet lag and a variety of illnesses.WHAT: An art show fundraiser for Appalachian Wildlife Refuge WHEN: Sunday, June 11, 1-5 p.m. WHERE: The Boathouse at the Smoky Park Supper Club WHY: Art lovers and animal enthusiasts…
- A new online resource for the local independent filmmaking community debuts, June's Israeli Film Series selection follows a trio of gay Palestinian friends and more.
- Asheville, NCAsheville, NCProject Genesis is a pioneering longitudinal study that is mobilizing more than 150 volunteers to study and collect data on the health of 20 research bee hives in West Asheville.…Several senior Asheville city staffers are serving in interim roles as the city scrambles to fill vacancies and get its $74 million bond referendum program projects off the ground.Various tax credits and preservation easements offer financial benefits to owners of historic properties; advocates also tout broader benefits, such as job creation, the reduced environmental impacts of restoration versus…As commissioners considering funding projects with community grants, Xpress looks at the performance contracts used to monitor the process and finds commissioners aren't adhering to suggested guidelines.
- "If you want to learn about how we can cut administrative costs, lower drug prices [and] go to any doctor in the country, then come to the in-depth talk at…"Thanks for all of the support for Youth Ultimate! Look for our Ultimate Frisbee Summer Camp the week of Aug. 7!""So when the choice is between crazy and evil, which is the best choice I have ever seen on a ballot without my own name on it, voting for the…"Robert Morgan’s latest novel, recently out in paperback, is set in pre-Civil War times. It follows a crafty teenage runaway slave on a northward journey toward freedom. From the Carolina…Asheville, NCAsheville, NC"So, on June 9, Adm. Titley will be discussing a somewhat different approach to understanding climate risks — i.e., from the national security perspective — and it’s an approach that…