- "Monsterland," an eight-episode TV series based on the award-winning writer's anthology "North American Lake Monsters," will be released in full on Hulu on Friday, Oct. 2.Eleven of the 13 local candidates on the Nov. 3 general election ballot completed the Asheville Area Arts Council's latest survey.“A Pastoral Palette Resized: Rural Spaces for the Soul” opens Oct. 4, Urban Combat Wrestling turns one and other area arts news.
- Our beloved, memory-triggering local restaurants are deeply personal keepers of happy experiences.Avenue M relaunches after a total refresh with a new chef; Griff's Kitchen & Bar brings globally influenced contemporary American cuisine to Sand Hill Road; and Baked Pie Co. owner…
- Xpress contributor Mark Barrett shares his pick of lesser-known Western North Carolina hikes with opportunities to take in the region's autumn splendor.
- In the winter of 1967, over 30 residents joined in a rent strike at Hillcrest Apartments. The movement lasted far longer than expected and soon spread across the city's two…Stacie Saunders joined the Buncombe County Health Department in August to lead the county's COVID-19 response. Nearly two months into her role as public health director, she reflects on the…This year’s contest to fill three seats on the town’s nonpartisan Board of Aldermen initially drew nine candidates, a field that has since dwindled to six. Four of those candidates…The Rev. Brent La Prince Edwards says that with gatherings now happening virtually, the COVID-19 pandemic offers an opportunity for his church to embark on a $571,000 renovation project without…Asheville City Council members voted 5-2 to adopt a budget amendment that will cut APD funding by $770,000, a roughly 2.5% drop from the $30.1 million allocation originally proposed by…Members expressed unanimous support for extending the city’s hotel moratorium — previously set to expire later in September — an additional five months, giving Council and city staff more time…
- "If you vote for Terri Wells for county commissioner of District 1, you can expect an honest and hardworking person for your commissioner.""You see, it’s not enough to vote Trump out. We must vote out his enablers in Congress and state governments.""A vote for Terri is a vote for family farms, for education and for thriving rural communities!""We, as the Sabbath Circle at Servanthood House, a spiritual community which has functioned for more than 20 years as such, mourn the loss of the chapel and what it…"It’s time to save our entrepreneurs and local business and open up. It’s time to wake up and save Asheville."