- The Austin, Tex. hip-hop band plays Ellington Underground on May 9.The spring festival — held Thursday, May 10, to Sunday, May 13 — features more then 20 percent women-led acts, including its headliners and the entire Lakeside main stage schedule…The Asheville-based poet reads from her new book on May 6 at Malaprop's.Soulful prog-hop group Natural Born Leaders mark the release of their debut EP About Time with a Saturday, May 5, show at Asheville Music Hall. Folk singer-songwriter Chuck Brodsky debuts…The Asheville singer-songwriter and her band — Free Planet Radio and Billy Cardine — perform with youth scholarship winners May 5 at Diana Wortham Theatre.Asheville Butoh Collective’s show of solo works will be performed May 4 and 5 at Revolve.I Am Home Art Project's second show takes place May 5 at Ginger’s Revenge.This haunting production follows a despondent and drifting young blogger/journalist in search of a career-making story about corruption.
- New restaurants and other dining options are making Hendersonville a new vegan hot spot.The Asheville native and former aspiring actress specializes in trademark law at the McGuire, Wood & Bissette Law Firm.The 14th annual Asheville Bread Festival returns at a new location. Also: The James Beard Foundation's Celebrity Chef Tour dinner, A Field Guide to Mushrooms of the Carolinas; Table hosts…
- Mental Health Month, observed in the U.S. since 1949, brings awareness to the importance of maintaining mental health as much as physical health.From Friday, May 4, to Sunday, May 6, the WNC Chapter of the North Carolina Herb Association hosts the 29th annual Asheville Spring Herb Festival at the Western North Carolina…
- The Grail's Silent Sundays series highlights animation and comedy shorts, Cullowhee and Sylva host film festivals and more.
- Before construction could begin on Beaver Lake, an agreement needed to be reached between Lakeview Inc. and the Asheville and East Tennessee Railroad. The railroad company’s tracks traversed the area…As people flock to Western North Carolina to take advantage of the region's abundant outdoor recreational opportunities, they also bring a human impact to wild places.Henderson is the only WNC county that takes part in the federal government’s 287(g) program, which enlists local law enforcement personnel to help implement federal immigration law. That participation has…Working with freelance contributors helps Mountain Xpress reflect a variety of voices and points of view in our coverage of local news and events. We're looking for experienced writers to…In preparation for the May primary, Xpress sent questions to candidates fighting for their party’s nomination for various local and national offices. Read their responses here.
- "We should teach our kids zero tolerance for polluting in any form, anywhere. Lead by example.""The surrounding area could suffer from destruction of homes, churches, cemeteries, orchards resulting in bifurcation of neighborhoods, traffic noise intrusion, vehicle pollution and elimination of the small-town feel of Henderson…ASHEVILLE, NC"As Buncombe County voters, we deserve a county commissioner who not only believes in transparency, financial oversight, restoring accountability and trust in our county government, but most importantly, someone who…"Todd Williams considers the circumstances of each crime, rather than reflexively pushing for the harshest possible punishment. He supports a new program that will keep nonviolent, first-time offenders out of…ASHEVILLE, NC"Having lived here for his entire adult life — 30-plus years — and working all over the 16 counties taking down barns and farmhouses to make the lumber into furniture…"Three good men have applied. But one stands out because of his background, experience and ability to attract the Democratic, unaffiliated, conservative and moderate votes needed to get the job…"I've known Quentin for over 20 years and know him to be a man of integrity, intelligence, open-mindedness, compassion and quality.""But what I learned is a disappointing reality that, not only do we have to evaluate candidates on their opinions about the issues we care about, we have to evaluate…