- After three years, Etsy and wholesale e-commerce had become the main source of revenue for the business. Mary Lynn Schroeder made the tough call to sell her storefront and dedicate…The story of Fantastic Negrito is the stuff of Hollywood legends, but it has the distinction of being true. The man born Xavier Dphrepaulezz taught himself to play a multitude…“What we’re hoping to accomplish with this festival is really empowering people to remember that coming together in a positive way is important,” says Ehren Cruz, performing arts director. “We…When Childress set out to record his debut solo album, Mind the Gap — which he’ll launch at Isis Restaurant & Music Hall on Saturday, Oct. 15 — theatrics had…Davis Miller's story, “My Dinner With Ali,” has recently been turned into Approaching Ali, an autobiographical one-act opera about a man going through a mid-life crisis who has a transcendent…Longtime local dancer and choreographer Sharon Cooper and Asheville Contemporary Dance Theatre present Motown Memories for a second time at BeBe Theatre on Friday-Saturday, Oct. 14-15.Los Colognes opens for the Nashville-based musician at The Grey Eagle on Saturday, Oct. 15Hiss Golden Messenger's international tour begins at The Mothlight on Friday, Oct. 14. The Dead Tongues opens.The free performance, which hinges around the author's parents, takes place at the Thomas Wolfe Memorial on Thursday, Oct. 13.For its largest annual fundraiser, the Literacy Council of Buncombe County is hosting a dinner and silent auction, featuring a speech by best selling author Wiley Cash. His brother, comedian…
- From spirits to jiggers and everything in between, setting up a quality bar at home can be accessible and affordable if you know what to buy.This week the HardLox Jewish Food and Heritage Festival returns to Pack Square, Hickory Nut Gap Farm turns 100, Dobra Tea adds a variety of hot chocolates to its menu…
- Southeast Wise Women, a woman-owned and -operated business, will sponsor its twelfth annual herbal conference at Lake Eden in Black Mountain Oct. 14-16.
- Mechanical Eye presents Home Movie Day, the Grail screens a sex trafficking doc and Asheville School of Film students screen their course projects.
- For women who dream of making the leap to owning a business, local organizations such as the Western Women's Business Center offer training, support and lending tailored to the needs…An investigation conducted by Xpress resulted with A-B Tech vowing to change the way it stores emails, look at the length of time it stores communications and consider other improvements…As more women work toward leadership roles in the local workforce, female business leaders and local organizations are working to provide the encouragement and resources necessary to help them attain…The Dakotas may be far from Asheville, but many WNC locals have traveled to the Standing Rock Sioux reservation since protests began there in late August over a disputed oil…As Asheville's food sector has grown in recent years, many women business owners have made environmental sustainability a central tenet of their enterprises.
- "It is very inappropriate to compare eating meat to killing Jewish people. God has given man dominion over the animals. We are to care for them, fatten them up and…"Our existing affordable housing policy or any variation on it is bound to fail and waste borrowed money.""It hurt my heart to be in this atmosphere. I don’t ever want to be afraid to learn about someone else’s perspective.""Of one thing I am confident: 'underneath are the Everlasting Arms' (Deuteronomy 33:27, King James version) — which invokes a profound trust in the ongoing Creative Energy called Love that…"We should strive for real, long-term benefits to our citizens rather than just letting the catchword 'affordable' create a massive debt with possibly little return.""The $74 million in bonds means that these projects would be completed within the next five to seven years, a timeline well ahead of how much time it would take…"It is completely possible to design a security lighting system that does not destroy the integrity of this space and that would not require the removal of trees."