- More than a decade into its celebratory chronicling of the local music scene, MVA is still evolving. One specific and ongoing goal is to make the competition as inclusive as…Asheville-based author and illustrator launches her third (and final) Mr. Puffball book at Malaprop's on April 24.On Saturday, April 21, Charles Frazier will read passages from his latest book, Varina, at UNC Asheville’s Lipinsky Auditorium. The author will be joined onstage in conversation with fellow-writer, Wiley…The star-studded benefit for Our VOICE is set for April 23 at The Mothlight.The keynote address from the NPR host and panel discussions with local music industry representatives and advocates explore the arts' economic impact on the Asheville area.Panels discuss everything from the experience of women in media and entertainment fields to the process of turning a story into a song. Saturday night concludes with a superband made…The Asheville instrumental quintet plays Ellington Underground, April 20 and 21.In the story, Anne tries to live as normal a life as anyone could in this situation, even as her world crumbles around her. She mostly keeps a bright attitude,…The Asheville Music School benefit concert takes place April 19 at Isis Music Hall.Grandfather Mountain Highland Games rock headliner Seven Nations and the Piper Jones Band play Jack of the Wood on April 20.
- Asheville-area initiatives are seeking to connect food-insecure communities with fresh, locally grown food while also supporting WNC farmers.Don't trash that doggy bag! Asheville culinary experts have some creative ideas for giving new life to leftover restaurant meals.The inaugural Cider, Wine and Dine Weekend spotlights and celebrates Henderson County's agritourism industry. Also: UpCountry Brewing continues its Pint Night series; Pisgah Coffee Roasters opens; Great Harvest Bread Company…
- “There are 22 women’s garden clubs in Asheville; this is the only men’s garden club," says member Gerry Hardesty. The Men's Garden Club is carrying on a tradition of community…The international gathering of the Creation Spirituality Community, held April 26-29 at Jubilee! in Asheville, features a keynote by renowned theologian Matthew Fox, a concert by Abraham Jam and over…
- Alice Walker, Brian McLaren and host Gareth Higgins discuss the Movies & Meaning Experience, which takes place April 26-28 at Diana Wortham Theatre.
- In 1916, plans were underway to bring herds of elk and buffalo to Pisgah Forest. Difficulties and delays would plague the project.Got a broken toaster or sewing machine? Maybe a lawnmower that won't crank after its winter hibernation? Check out the WNC Repair Café on Tuesday, April 24 in Hendersonville. At…Local colleges and universities are offering an increasing number of sustainability focused degree and certificate programs to allow students to prepare for the jobs of the future and make a…Stephanie Harper set up her vermicomposting bin for under $40, using supplies that are readily available locally. Her worms — which she says are "kind of like pets" — break…As a biodynamic farmer, Megan Naylor of Barnardsville strives to create a closed-loop system that feeds her livestock, her family and the soil.
Energy Innovation Task Force leaders cite new marketing campaign, dedication from Duke as positive actionThe Energy Innovation Task Force, a joint effort of the city of Asheville, Buncombe County and Duke Energy Progress, along with community stakeholders, was created to find ways to slow…
- "The mean old men who represent Western North Carolina in Congress — Congressmen Patrick McHenry and Mark Meadows and Sens. Richard Burr and Thom Tillis — are committed to ensuring…"It is important and a standard practice to perform air sampling, before and after mold remediation, to ensure reduction of high concentrations and effective containment during remediation.""Jacob Holm [Industries (America)] seems to have fixed the annoying whine and stopped mine also."ASHEVILLE, NCASHEVILLE, NC"If you drive on the Blue Ridge Parkway, hike in Pisgah National Forest or on the Appalachian Trail, visit Mount Mitchell or the high elevations of the Smokies, you will…"For this upcoming 48th Earth Day, I encourage people to pick up roadside litter near your neighborhood. The date is April 22, a Sunday."