- Heather McEntire and Jenks Miller of Mount Moriah both come from unlikely musical places. The singer previously fronted the post-punk renegade Bellafea, while the guitarist crafted sprawling, often droning compositions…Canadian singer and multi-instrumentalist brings her Carolina-influenced pop tunes to The Grey Eagle on Saturday, March 26.This year’s lineup, scheduled by Jeff Whitworth of Worthwhile Sounds includes a danceable mic of funk, soul, rock, bluegrass and more — and many of the acts are locally based.Mathlouthi performs at UNC Asheville’s Lipinsky Auditorium on Thursday, March 24. Earlier that day, she'll discuss her work, the music of Tunisia and the electronic sounds that inspire her during…Camp David, Doc Aquatic and Fashion Bath bring a free night of local music to The Orange Peel on Friday, March 25.Experienced includes an impressive, all-star list of guest players (Del McCoury, Sam Bush, Peter Rowan, Keller Williams and many others) who augment and complement the core trio. “I like to…Local folk act Jackson Emmer opens Ferrell's album release party at Isis Restaurant & Music Hall's upstairs lounge on Thursday, March 24.Multi-generational entertainers David Holt and Josh Goforth exemplify the value of cultural continuance. They'll perform a benefit show for the Center for Cultural Preservation at Blue Ridge Community College on…With a debut full length out, Gold Light plays a homecoming release show alongside Grace Joyner and Dear Blanca at the Mothlight on Thursday, March 24.
- The Downtown Welcome Table is adding Sunday meals to its community offerings; Favilla's New York Pizza is opening a North Asheville location; Pigeon Community Multicultural Development Center is hosting a…With the construction of its new 20,000-square-foot production facility and taproom in the heart of Asheville's South Slope, Green Man Brewery honors its downtown roots while moving forward in a…A new downtown coffee shop aims to create a hub for community building and social justice in the wake of Waking Life.
- Although New Dawn Midwifery closes at the end of March, safe and supported birthing options abound in the Asheville area, including hospitals with obstetricians, hospitals with midwives and the WNC Birth Center, which is set to open…It’s a cool, gray morning in Weaverville as we round the bend and pull into Barkley’s Mill on Southern Cross Farm, and its greens, grays and browns, highlighted by the…
- Asheville Brewing celebrates The Silence of the Lambs' 25th anniversary, the Fly Fishing Film Tour stops at Highland Brewing and Kanuga readies for the Dirty Dancing remake.
- Over 700 Democracy North Carolina volunteers fanned out across the state on March 15, primary election day. They were helping ensure that no one was illegally turned away from the…If you live in Asheville, you may have received a mailer recently offering a $25 gift card at Green Sage Café if you signed up with Arcadia Power. Like a…Decades after the furor over a Swannanoa weapons plant introduced many residents to the term “Superfund site,” the focus is shifting toward potential future uses for a portion of the…The City of Asheville launched its new public engagement website, Open City Hall, on Thursday, March 17. The new platform will provide residents an easy way to access information and…Learn to grow ginseng and goldenseal The Southern Appalachian School for Growing Medicinal Plants will host a ginseng and goldenseal workshop at Eagle Feather Organic Farm in Marshall on Sunday,…
- "The Asheville Ultimate community would love to share this fantastic sport with your family!""These kids are amazing! What talent! What depth!"