- The Lee Boys help close out the final RiverMusic installment of the season Friday, Oct. 9. Music starts at 5:30 p.m. with Lyric; Fred Wesley & The New JBs headline…Intending to record an album with a 30/70 vocal/instrumental split, local band The John Stickley Trio — with the help of producer Dave King — came out of the studio…The pop-noir band brings a soulful voice and other sonic pleasantries to Isis Restaurant & Music Hall — where recent album Excavator was partially developed during a 2014 residency —…Ozric Tentacles is that rare group that appeals to fans of trance/rave, techno, jam, psychedelic, and space/progressive rock. Founded in Somerset, England — and currently based in Colorado — the…The Southern-bred travelers play a set at the Mothlight on Tuesday, Oct. 13, at 9:30 p.m., with support from Susto.The Warren Wilson College Theatre Department, under the guidance of Candace Taylor, is about to launch a new season under the heading, Not Suitable For Children. The season kicks off…Local reggae group Satta Roots opens for the experimental players at Asheville Music Hall Saturday, Oct. 10, at 10 p.m.
- "If we are disconnected from our food and where our sustenance comes from, it's a very dangerous thing for humanity," says Natalie Bogwalker, founder of Wild Abundance. In November, Bogwalker…Fall is here, which means Asheville Oktoberfest is right around the corner. This year's celebration is moving to a new location but will still feature its annual merry combination of…Fiesta Latina spices up Pack Square Park; Villagers offers a fall vinegar workshop; Hops & Vines does a yeast and fermentation class; and Asheville's French Quarter makes some big changes.
- Most folks don’t give it a thought when they head to the store for a gallon of milk, go outside to take a walk or pick up the phone to…
- This week's offerings include a documentary screening at UNC Asheville, the continuation of the Movies that Matter series and Home Movie Day events.
- North Carolina is just one signature away from taking advantage of a 2014 Farm Bill provision that allows states to enact their own hemp-growing pilot programs.Proceeds from the fifth annual Poverty Forum — featuring healthcare innovator Rishi Manchanda as keynote speaker — will help Pisgah Legal Services continue to represent WNC citizens who cannot afford…Developers have long complained about Asheville’s permitting process, and critics say their concerns were underscored this summer when Chris Brown dropped plans for a $2 million indoor trampoline park. City…In the damp morning hours of Oct. 2, 1929, gunfire erupted between law enforcement and a crowd of picketing mill workers at the gates of the Marion Manufacturing plant in…With her new book, Asheville farmer, butcher, chef and teacher Meredith Leigh explores what a more humane and ethical food system might look like and examines the crucial role consumers…
- "What is the effect to our systems and general health?""Regarding Asheville’s decision to fluoridate our city water, I would like to suggest to Mayor [Esther] Manheimer she act on the side of caution immediately.""More than a million horses died in the bloody four-year conflict, yet their vast contribution and sacrifice is often overlooked or ignored.""There is a difference between animal rights and animal welfare."" I believe there is a chemical in sufficiently high quantities in the water that is causing me to become ill.""The families of East Asheville deserve a new library, a community meeting space and a study of the Tunnel Road corridor to improve walkability, safety and to encourage new types…"By the actions displayed by the mob and other organizations, it seems that much, but not all, New Age philosophy and rapid feminism are just as exclusive as fundamental 'Christianity.'"