- Challenges abound in the independent exhibition business, but local cinemas continue to provide distinct, valued services.Asheville-based writer Holly Amann has been named the winner of this year’s Xpress Poetry Contest. Writers were invited to submit work around the themes of sustainability, environmental awareness and/or reverence…In March, Magill assembled the Brazilian musicians for a premiere in Rio de Janeiro. Staged at the city's culturally important Casa do Choro, the performance was “a celebration of the…The Boston-based hip-hop duo plays The Grey Eagle on May 1.As part of a fundraiser for the SoundSpace initiative (a nonprofit started by Coleman and Brett Spivey, designed to help provide low-cost rehearsal space for local musicians), Amandla plays at…The acclaimed author reads from different works, April 28 at the Flatiron Writers Room and April 29 at Firestorm Books & Coffee.The seasonal self-guided tours of artists' studios runs April 28-29 with a preview party April 27.Six local designers share collections made from Goodwill Industries garments April 27 at The Orange Peel.The benefit supper for the Flat Rock Backpack Program takes place April 29 at at St. John in the Wilderness Episcopal Church in Flat Rock.
- After two years of planning, the Morganton brewery is set to debut its destination taproom and production facility in Lake James State Park.The perennial's tart edible stalks lend themselves to everything from pies to pickles, and its robust root systems make it an ideal plant for sharing with friends.The third annual Asheville Cocktail Week returns, with a kickoff dinner at Cucina 24. Also: Rhubarb celebrates Ashley English's latest cookbook, AUX Bar & Kitchen hosts its new series, Capella…
- Local gyms are creating safe spaces for women to work out and are encouraging them to break down gender norms by lifting weights.
- The 5Point Film Festival moves to Sierra Nevada, the Asheville Jewish Film Festival concludes with a documentary about Itzhak Perlman and more.
- The Asheville Citizen-Times Co.’s former building once stood where Woolworth Walk stands today. The structure, built in 1902, was razed in 1939.Arjuna da Silva built her off-grid home using natural materials such as wood, clay and straw. It's a beautiful structure, but da Silva advises that natural building is best left…Buncombe County Democrats are picking their choice for a new sheriff in the primary election on May 8. The five Democratic candidates have differing takes on how to shape the…If this year’s primary race for Buncombe County district attorney seems a bit familiar, that could be because it’s happened before. After then-defense attorney Todd Williams upset six-term officeholder Ron…The Mother Earth News Fair returns to WNC Saturday and Sunday, April 28 and 29, bringing exhibitors, vendors and presenters to the area to help attendees learn techniques for living…
- "Amanda has abundant experience and professional experience advocating for education. Amanda will be an informed leader in education who will direct the commission to offer meaningful support to our schools.""True leadership is visible only when a leader faces challenges. Mr. Fisher has not only secured my vote in support of his campaign for office, his actions have inspired me…"He is promising to end mass incarceration in Buncombe County by ending cash bail and ceasing to prosecute nonviolent drug offenses.""She is an excellent speaker, but also she has something to say to all which can be of immense value to us in bridging the fully hearing world with the…ASHEVILLE, NCASHEVILLE, NC"I believe that if everyone does what they can to move toward clean energy and presses their elected officials to do the same, we can reach our goals and stop…"Amanda’s knack to listen and understand what is needed before quickly and effectively solving issues is what will make Amanda an excellent county commissioner."