- Leaders for the two local arts nonprofits discuss their recent doings and tips on getting started in a challenging environment.Members of friends groups discuss their organizations' roles in assisting local historic sites and special collections.This month's offerings include blues/rock, hip-hop, Appalachian-centered Americana and therapeutic folk/rock.Xpress sits down with Jennifer Langton to discuss Womansong’s mission, the challenges women choirs face and the benefits of being a nonprofit.The nonprofit North Carolina Glass Center plans a second location in Black Mountain. Plus, a local author writes a climate change novel, the Black Mountain Public Library welcomes writers and…
- With the holidays around the corner, nonprofits are counting more than ever on turkey drives, financial contributions, dedicated volunteers going the extra mile — sometimes literally — and increased awareness…Xpress speaks with Gina Smith about food policy, shared gifting and recommendations for how other nonprofits might integrate new models of fundraising into their operations.Holiday markets return throughout Buncombe County. Also: The Chop Shop expands; local chefs and bakers prepare for Thanksgiving; and plenty more.
- Navigating a dementia diagnosis in the family can be a confusing and lonely experience for both the patient and the caregiver. In Buncombe County, there are numerous nonprofits to provide…Xpress speaks with Andee Bingham, executive director of Esther Neonatal Kitten Rescue, about her organization's future goals, advice she'd offer those launching a nonprofit and her favorite kitten story.In partnership with the WNC Farmers Market, the Asheville zoo launches its Educational Farmers Market Garden starting Wednesday, Nov. 16. The new exhibit focuses on sustainable relationships between agriculture and…
- Local nonprofit leaders say they’re seeing more companies prioritize volunteering and service projects rather than just giving money. They’re also seeking long-term relationships with specific organizations rather than just one-off…Though Black Wall Street AVL got its start amid the COVID-19 pandemic, founder J Hackett says the organization continues to grow thanks to support from the community as well as…In 2020, the Organic Growers School transitioned to a lateral executive team. The move, says Cameron Farlow, the nonprofit’s executive director, has led to a more dynamic approach to leadership.The nationwide shortage of direct support professionals has created many challenges for Open Hears Art Center, says Debbie Harris, the organization’s co-executive.Indigenous activists offer their thoughts on a trend that's recently gathered local momentum.Rising costs and red tape led to many delays for Asheville Music School this year. But its executive director, Ryan Reardon, says there’s plenty to remain hopeful for come 2023.Built in 1928 and designed by the architectural firm of Beacham and LeGrand, the three-story space at 162 Coxe Ave. has been home to Well Played Board Game Café since…Despite the many challenges True Ridge has faced over the last 2 ½ years, its founder Lori Garcia-McCammon says the organization remains strong and determined to carry out its work.Xpress talks with Alfred D. Green to discuss his nonprofit Young Struggle, what it means to be proactive within the community and how chess is more than just a game.Before becoming a member of the Rotary Club of Asheville this year, Skyler Duncan didn’t know much about the venerable service organization. “I remember they gave scholarships in high school and that sort…Asheville Tool Library saw plenty of change in 2022, including a new location, says board member Stephanie Kane.Stigma remains the biggest challenge for the work Amy Upham and her dedicated staff perform at Eleanor Health Foundation.Though recent years have been challenging, Sam Ruark says Green Built Alliance has persevered and continues to find new ways to support its missions.Complete Democratic control of the Buncombe County Board of Commissioners, a better-than-expected performance by Jasmine Beach-Ferrara and $70 million in new spending for county initiatives all emerged from this year's…Jackson’s selection had been announced in September, but his oath of office Nov. 3 marked the official start of his tenure as superintendent. Jackson follows former Superintendent Tony Baldwin, who…
- "If effective systems were already in place, then health care workers wouldn’t represent almost three-quarters of all workplace violence occurrences.""Residents across the ideological spectrum lament the presence of outsiders, declare that Asheville should be ‘closed’ and spout fears about population growth.""My suggestion is to avoid a head-on attack but clear a small mental runway for insights to land on if they so desire.""I have found out that Duke has a cutoff date of May 31 for each year, and then they pocket my excess energy.""Our lives in this democratic country do not exist in a void, and we need to know about the institutions that provide essential services and a safe, livable environment —…"Please get someone to rename the road. It’s too much of a blatant reference to anti-Black terrorism at the hands of the Klan for 2022."