- The series opens on Saturday, July 7, with Abby “The Spoon Lady” Roach, one of the best known buskers in town. She and her musician partner, Chris Rodrigues, will perform…Giving a platform to the collection of artists and ideas “was like lighting a match,” Colby Caldwell says. “I thought we’d have one show a month. It became where we…The Ohio experimental soul singer plays The Town Pump Tavern on July 10.Eight years after settling in North Carolina, Cissokho has just released his third album, Routes. Touring in support of the record, he and Kaira Ba play Isis Music Hall on…The fiddler and vocalist duo present an evening of Celtic music and mythic tales July 8 at Isis Music Hall.On Thursday, July 6, the seventh annual Costume Drama will take place at the newly renovated Asheville Community Theatre.The "Serafina" author has a launch party for a new series starter July 8 at the Asheville Mall Barnes & Noble.The supergroup brings its collaborate Goodbye Road tour to Thomas Wolfe Auditorium on July 6.The benefit concert for the Puerto Rico Teachers Federation takes place July 7 at Salvage Station.
- Programs at A-B Tech and Blue Ridge diversify their offerings to keep pace with WNC's growing craft alcohol industry.For many Western North Carolina chefs, having control of a menu offers a means of honoring family history and celebrating culinary heritage.From Japanese kakigori to Filipino halo-halo, Asheville is serving some chilly summer treats that venture far beyond a scoop of vanilla.On Sunday, July 8, The Block Off Biltmore will host The Great North Carolina Vegan Barbecue Cookoff. Also: La Guinguette offers an American Wine Dinner; AUX Bar (On Fire) Guest…
- Physical activities performed in natural environments can have a profound influence on our mental and physical health, say local exercise experts.
- The Fine Arts Theatre screens Black Mountain College alumnus Arthur Penn's "Bonnie and Clyde," The Grey Eagle combines "Spice World" with a Spice Girls dance party and more.
- Immigration at the turn of the century spurred debate over policy, as well as the country's future.In November, North Carolina voters will choose whether to add the right to hunt, fish and harvest wildlife to their constitution. If the amendment passes, the state will join 21…“It feels like a migration of birds,” says Eli Mills, seasonal employee at the North Carolina Outward Bound School. “Every year we come up on the mountain in the very…Positive economic news keeps coming, with Buncombe County boasting the state's lowest unemployment rate for 38 consecutive months, and numbers showing strong growth in most sectors of the local economy.During their June 19 meeting, Buncombe County commissioners approved a 1-cent increase for the 11 fire districts that requested at least that amount from the county this year. The officials…
- As of April, 71 citizen initiatives were on ballots across the country for 2018. Sick of gerrymandering and want to force nonpartisan districting? Michigan has a citizen initiative for that…"The Asheville City Schools and Buncombe County Schools policy codes state that e-cigarettes are prohibited within schools and consequences may include restorative justice programs, but these programs are extremely vague,…ASHEVILLE, NC"The reason for this extraordinary housing retention rate is Homeward Bound doesn’t just put people in homes and forget about them; we provide ongoing support called case management.""The airport should reopen the entire long-term lot in order to 'preserve choice for passengers.'"ASHEVILLE, NC"Before the project proposal goes to the City Council, I implore Asheville Planning and Zoning to decline the 104-foot height variation from the existing 80-foot code.""He reminds me of the village blacksmith who laid aside his hammer and cooled his forge to stand fast with his neighbors against tyranny at Old North Bridge."