- Some Asheville-based arts organizations are focused on more than teaching technique to those in search of a new skill. Sure, learning how to use the tools is no small accomplishment,…Founded in 1988 by the late J.G. Pinkerton, TELLEBRATION! is a trademarked event that invites guilds from across the world to host a celebration in their own city the weekend…The finals of the 11th annual contest will be held at Asheville Music Hall on Nov. 18.The concert, with compositions spanning 300 years, takes place Saturday, Nov. 18, at the Thomas Wolf Auditorium.The band got its start when brothers Adam and Jonathan Clayton (on keyboards and guitar respectively) put the project together in 2015. After some personnel shifts, the band settled on…The group exhibition of handcrafted toys and games opens Nov. 18 at Grovewood Gallery.Larry “Po’folk” Williams discusses his musical journey and the significance of going head-to-head with an MC he greatly respects.The Asheville pop rockers play the lounge at Isis Music Hall on Nov. 17.The retro fundraiser for AHE takes place Nov. 22 at Isis Music Hall.At this phase in his career, Rothko believes that color is merely an instrument that informs emotion. As he ages, Rothko feels the same pressures that, a generation earlier, he…
- From cultivating fungus to manipulating gluten, local entrepreneurs take a scientific approach to crafting savory and satisfying vegan proteins.Asheville-area breweries share the stories behind their more oddly dubbed releases.WNC organizations need donations and volunteers to make Thanksgiving dinner a reality for locals experiencing hunger and homelessness.Wedge Foundation will host the Knuckle Deep BBQ Fest. Also, Villagers hosts a fermentation workshop, Knife & Fork holds seafood pop-up dinners, Vintage Kava moves to Weaverville and the Mills…
- Support in Western North Carolina is growing for those with autism spectrum disorder and sensory processing disorder as nonprofits, mental health organizations and neighborhood businesses strive to provide sensory-friendly environments. “Children…
- Mountainfilm on Tour stops by Highland Brewing Co., BeLoved Asheville hosts a panel discussion on homelessness after a screening of 'The Florida Project' at the Grail, and more.
- In October of 1918, as the flu pandemic infected Asheville residents, the Masonic Temple opened its doors to the city's sick African-American population.Buncombe County is funding community work in a new way through the Isaac Coleman Community Investment Grants, focusing on grassroots groups rather than traditional, institutional nonprofit organizations.From slack-lining to exploring medical careers, the In Real Life after-school program coordinated by the Asheville City Schools Foundation brings fun and learning to the city's middle school students.As local land trusts bring thousands of acres under protection, the challenges of maintaining the health of those lands grow. And raising money for ongoing efforts to control invasive plant…Individuals and businesses explore the best ways to share our region's history.Asheville voters turned out in relatively high numbers on Tuesday, Nov. 7 to reelect two incumbents and significantly increase the diversity of City Council.
- "The Adult Day Activities Program is very excited for all of these opportunities that they have had to meet new folks and to become a part of the community in…"A beautifully built ramp, 80 feet in total, will effectively keep these two ladies living at home for years to come.""By learning from our rich history and honoring the women who fought for gender, racial and social justice here in Asheville, we are challenged to live up to that legacy…"In the world of HIV treatment, we have a saying: 'Housing is health care.' What it means is that it is very difficult to link people living with HIV/AIDS to…"STRs should be crowded out of existence by affordable housing density, not regulated like a bureaucratic scapegoat.""For more than a decade, Mission Health and Pisgah Legal Services have worked together through the HEALS Project, a special medical-legal partnership that addresses critical legal issues that impact the…"With so many kids in the GAL program, our office is overwhelmed with cases, and we have a critical need for volunteers to represent children’s best interests in court.""The purpose of the Southside Arts & Agricultural Center project is to support healing, restoring and reclaiming community culture; support emerging leaders; grow food; and incubate economic development.""Our brightest moment is when we move someone out of homelessness and their life changes for the better. Michelle is a great example of this.""We don't need more beer or breweries. We need more space for people to have real, multifaceted lives beyond the Disney-fied dystopian construct that Asheville has become at a cost…"Hope, not heartache, inspired Brandy to take a chance on Oreo, and hope is what motivates us to keep fighting for our most vulnerable pets."ASHEVILLE, N.C."People with mental health issues can lead full, meaningful lives. Treatment works. Recovery happens. The purpose of NAMI WC is support, education and advocacy.""How can the antifa call themselves 'nonviolent' if they announce their intention to forcibly prevent others from exercising their constitutional rights? If not by force, then by what means?"