- “From its earliest days, even before it took its more-or-less permanent form as a 501(c)(3), Azule was integral to the Shelton-Laurel and Bluff communities it existed in,” says the organization's…On their current tour, Gibson is donating $1 from each ticket to Black Lives Matter. “This is an art form that is celebrated and occupied by a lot of marginalized…Since relocating to Asheville in 2012, illustrator Geneva B. has sought to create joyful images.The Memphis-based standup comedian performs at The Southern on Feb. 17.The Chicago native reads from her LGBTQIA+ debut novel Feb. 17 at Firestorm Books and Coffee.The singer-songwriter brings her "Songs. Stories. Solo." tour to The Grey Eagle on Feb. 17.Malaprop’s brings the bestselling writer to UNC Asheville for a Feb. 16 author event.The benefit performances take place Feb. 23 at The DFR Room in Brevard and Feb. 24 at The Orange Peel in Asheville.There’s an inherent passion behind this production. By the end, we find ourselves searching for that skylight in our own lives — a moment when we built something beautiful in…
- Thanks to Asheville’s reputation as a food destination, many area hotels have stepped up their restaurant game in recent years with models that bring in the talents of well-known Western North Carolina chefs…The Biere de Femme festival moves to Raleigh on March 3, celebrating the creations of female brewers and the growing number of women in North Carolina's beer industry.On Sunday, Feb. 18, Buxton Hall Barbecue will host Celebrating the Culinary Journey of the South: A Dinner Conversation with John T. Edge. Also: Haywood Common opens in West Asheville;…
- This Valentine’s Day, don’t blow off the kiss — it’s more important than you think. Jeanne and Hal Butts of Black Mountain shared their first kisses in July 1957 during a…
- Pack Library celebrates the Chinese New Year with Stephen Chow’s "The Mermaid," Mars Hill University kicks off its Reel Appalachia film series with a Ralph Stanley documentary and more.
- In 1906, Dr. William Green Torrence arrived in Asheville. Four years later, he would set up the city's first African-American hospital inside his home on Eagle Street.ASHEVILLEUrgent care centers are a hot health care trend nationwide and in Western North Carolina. With the recent arrival of new urgent care facilities and more in the works, Xpress…The highest peak in the Plott Balsam Mountains, Waterrock Knob encompasses a unique ecosystem. The Blue Ridge Parkway will now conserve 5,329 acres of this irreplaceable landscape thanks to recent…The Buncombe County Board of Commissioners voted unanimously Tuesday to increase ambulance service fees for the first time since 2011.
- ASHEVILLE, NCASHEVILLE, NC"Of course, it's illegal to let dogs off leash, but you wouldn't know that, judging from some people's behavior and the lack of city and county enforcement.""There will be an educational forum on 'Healthcare for All: Good for Busine$$,' on Tuesday, Feb. 27, 7-8:30 p.m. at A-B Tech Ferguson Auditorium, sponsored by HealthCare for All WNC,…ASHEVILLE"Especially in Asheville, where ongoing positive publicity has been drawing in tourists and new residents with ever more potential for growth and wealth, it is necessary that this prosperity is…"Let's name it. Discrimination based on race, based on social class, based on capitalism. That's what's going on with hip-hop in this 'socially progressive' town."