- Often and unfairly pigeonholed as a Mexican-American rock band, Los Lonely Boys draw from many styles of music to create their original songs. The band comes to plays Diana Wortham…Australian duo Oh Pep! opens June’s show at The Orange Peel on Monday, March 6.Solares, whose shared exhibition with local painter Jennifer Barrineau opens Friday, March 3, in the F. W. Gallery, was born in Cuba.Recent Asheville transplant Mike Savino discusses his new album and plans to integrate himself into the local music scene.Old-time jazz fans can catch performances at The Crow & Quill on Sunday, March 5 or at The BLOCK Off Biltmore on Monday, March 6.The production straddles a line between comedy and drama. “The director and I went back and forth on how to market it,” Jamieson Ridenhour says. “Most of the play is…Wiki experts will be on hand for the Edit-a-thon at the center on Saturday, March 4.The band opens for Andrew Scotchie & the River Rats at Pisgah Brewing Co. on Friday, March 3.For the fifth year, Planned Parenthood South Atlantic will promote safe sex at its Condom Couture fashion show. The event features garments made with hundreds of condoms each and takes…
- The upcoming concert at The Grey Eagle supports the work of Food Connection, which helps divert unused food from Asheville restaurants to organizations that feed the hungry. Also this week:…Student lunch debt is a growing problem in public schools across the nation. The Asheville and Buncombe County school systems together have about $39,000 worth of food debt, most of…In the few months since it opened, the taproom has established itself as a gathering place for locals. Now the owners are offering four house-made brews on draft.
- Stress can lift you up or throw you down, according to local experts, who discuss ways to use stress as a tool for self-improvement.
- Tickets for HamiltunesAVL: The Sequel go on sale, French filmmaker Dominique Dubosc visits UNCA and more.
- The Organic Growers School’s Spring Conference is hardly a new event: The annual gathering of farmers, gardeners, homesteaders and assorted sustainability seekers turns 24 this month. But organizers say those…In Western North Carolina and across the country, labor unions seem to be a dying breed these days, and many local residents don’t seem overly concerned about it. Yet WNC’s…
- "Call your North Carolina legislators. Urge them to pass legislation to scale up solar. They should make it easier, not harder, to cultivate the bountiful energy offered by our sun.""As a wheelchair rider, I deal daily with sidewalks that have compromised safe width space. I have often thought of writing a humorous blog on the adventures of being stuck…"Wait till you experience Alexander Road and Bear Creek Road in the forgotten land of Leicester — it's the “mini-garbage-dump roads" of Buncombe County.""Most doctors and health advocates are quick to dismiss the ever-increasing number of vaccines with toxic ingredients given to newborns and young children, yet are simultaneously incurious about uncovering the…"We need to protect consumers who need credit: mortgages and credit cards, auto loans and payday loans. ... Nevertheless, Congressman McHenry has made a special effort to diminish or destroy…