- The singer-songwriter returns to The Grey Eagle this time each year for his annual Thanksgiving Homecoming Concert.Local offerings range from classic ballets, poignant soul searches and snarky send-ups of this month of family drama and heightened emotions.What’s often revelatory about Rodrigo y Gabriela’s music, whether it’s an interpretation or an original, is how internalized and personal it all feels, like they’re sharing a lingua franca made…The Columbus, Ohio-based singer-songwriter makes her Isis lounge debut on Nov. 30.The WNC-based singer-songwriter celebrates the release of 'Blue Eyed Girl' at Isis Music Hall on Friday, Nov. 29.The Vancouver-based experimental country artist plays Jack of the Wood on Nov. 29.The 50th edition of the annual folk dance camp returns to Blue Ridge Assembly, Nov. 28-Dec. 1.
- From turkey to cranberries, local chefs have some fresh ideas for using up those holiday leftovers.Although Asheville's locally focused restaurants have bid adieu for now to the tomatoes, eggplant and zucchini of summer, chefs find something in every season's harvest to get excited about.HIV and the trans experience is the theme for this year's World AIDS Day Community Luncheon. Also: Miracle on Haywood Road and Sippin' Santa launch; Vivian hosts Hungarian wine dinner;…
- Submissions are currently being accepted for the inaugural WNC Teen Film Festival.
- ASHEVILLE, N.C.Commissioned by the French Broad River Partnership with $56,000 in grant funding from the Community Foundation of Western North Carolina, Ecology Wildlife Foundation and Duke Energy, the research effectively seeks…ASHEVILLE, N.C.A group of West Asheville residents proposed changes to House Bill 972, the law that legalized needle exchanges throughout the state, that would greatly restrict where and the programs operate.Nearly 70% of those confined at the Buncombe County Detention Facility are there awaiting trial. While Buncombe County aims to cut its pretrial jail population by 15% by next September,…In 1919, a year after the Great War ended, Asheville, along with the rest of the country, prepared to celebrate Thanksgiving Day.“In my opinion, there are no problems with the TDA. The problems lie elsewhere," said Vice Chair Himanshu Karvir during the tourism authority's Nov. 20 meeting. "The problem lies with…During a Nov. 19 meeting of the Buncombe County Board of Commissioners, attorney Ron Payne said the settlement would bring the suit to an end, “hopefully in somewhat of an…
- "That orange man is scary! I don’t want him to be the boss of us! He’s mean.""I feel adding the ERA will protect all Americans from discrimination and offer equal protection under the law regardless of gender.""If a patient or client has a poor-fitting wheelchair and/or poor seating, it contributes to an endless cascade of treatments, suffering and hospitalizations instead of patient progress.""The clinic serves young children, adolescents and adults with conditions including spinal cord injury, multiple sclerosis, spina bifida and cerebral palsy. ... A perfect fit is necessary — not just…"We choose to support Brother Wolf because of the value it brings to our community and the animals’ lives it saves.""Younger members of our communities are vulnerable when not provided enough knowledge to avoid getting this easily preventable viral infection and not to become a continuous cycle of new generations…