- Producer and vocalist Ryan "RnB" Barber discusses the high costs and low moments that come with releasing an album and music video.The Asheville-based production company seeks to shift the values of the independent film industry toward collective care, accountability and liberation.The Asheville-based author discusses the book he's been working toward his entire career.Xpress continues its celebration of Poetry Month with a look at local, award-winning poet Jessica Jacobs’ work, “Because You Waited for Me to Fly Your First Kite,” from her 2019 collection, Take Me…The town of Dillsboro holds its popular Easter Hat Parade. Plus, the Swannanoa Valley Museum and History Center hosts a series of author discussions, the North Carolina Stage Company presents…
- Pan Island opens at Asheville Mall's food court. Plus: Vegan Peruvian food pop-up; Easter chocolates; and more!
- South Slope Acupuncture & Wellness, a clinic founded by Autum Kirgan, licensed acupuncturist, opened in February.Joe Hollis’ whole life is Mountain Gardens, a botanical garden in Western North Carolina that he has cultivated over 50 years. Hollis focuses on growing useful plants, especially medicinal herbs…
- In 1909, Asheville launched Clean-up Day, which later evolved into Clean-up Week. Residents and city officials rallied behind it, going as far as to publish a poem about the advantages…Drake Elder Bruner, a senior at Brevard College, speaks with Xpress about food waste, gardening and building community.Xpress speaks with UNCA senior Lindsey Nystrom about holistic approaches to environmentalism and divestment.A study conducted by MountainTrue found an average of 19 microplastic particles — pieces smaller than 5 millimeters, formed by the breakdown of larger plastics — per liter of water…In September 2018, Malaprops Bookstore/Cafe placed its first needle disposal boxes in its bathrooms. “We were finding needles in the bathroom on the floor,” explains lead bookseller Justin Souther. Sometimes,…As outlined in an April 5 presentation to the Board of Commissioners by Tim Love, Buncombe’s director of economic development and governmental relations, the county is exploring a nearly $221,000…
- "Hopefully, Asheville can step up and set an example of how to show compassion and grace in helping those of ours most in need the way to a bearable life.""We need to get rid of the atrocity that is the P&W factory and prevent the county Board of Commissioners from recruiting more weapons factories to Buncombe County.""Al has lived his life as a role model the way his parents raised him, by humbly and positively leading our community.""Until the professed advocates of affordable housing and assistance for the homeless get off their BUTS and honestly attack these issues, nothing significant will happen.""In order to move forward with a solution, more support must be provided to the homeless in the areas of affordable housing, mental health and substance abuse treatment and pet-friendly…"I would like to hear from the City Council on how they will be funding improving our desperately needed sidewalks in the coming year.""It’s an all-out war on the homeless, supported by comfortable people who profit from tourism and gentrification. Where is our compassion for those less fortunate than we are?""What part of the history of common good don’t you understand or appreciate?"