- An Asheville Pass, available to Xpress readers, allows access on Friday from 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. It’s for those who are “curious to know what we’re all about and…Throughout the 15-event summer series, painters, leather smiths, jewelry makers, potters, up-cycled crafters, clothing designers, photographers and others will set up beneath large umbrellas.The Steel Wheels open for Americana artist Josh Ritter at The Orange Peel on Wednesday, May 18.Max Hatt and Edda Glass decided to enter the annual NewSong Contest. They won the grand prize, which included a recording session at Echo Mountain Studios.Upcoming performances of the Hollywood-based, one-woman play are at 35 Below on Fridays and Saturdays at 7:30 p.m., and Sundays at 2:30 p.m., from May 13-22.Future productions of this new musical adaptation of Aldous Huxley's novel will be greatly shaped by its rehearsals and performances at N.C. Stage.The Knoxville-based artist plays a free show at Town Pump Tavern on Tuesday, May 17.About a dozen authors will respond to a single writing prompt that's loosely connected to House Bill 2 to raise money to undo the legislation. This first iteration of Malaprop's…Weaverville Yoga hosts Barratt as she presents an art project that harnesses the self and the natural world as inputs for multi-modal expression. Events take place Saturday-Sunday, May 14-15.
- Hunger is an issue facing a large number of children throughout Western North Carolina. “In general it’s one in four, which is much higher than the national average,” says Kara…Asheville VegFest's smorgasbord of food and drinks will be strictly vegan, though the event aims to be as light and fun as its kombucha beer; The Inn at Glen Alpine…For more than a century, Asheville has experienced alternating periods of growth and decline that have created an adaptable city full of potential. Those dynamics were and continue to be…On Friday, May 13, the Tunnel Road bar celebrates its 35th year in business with throwback specials, music and neighborly fun.
- The Sacred Fire Foundation brings two elders from Canada to share their wisdom around a fire in Weaverville May 21-22.E-Z Gardener plant sale raises money for scholarships Plants are popping up for a good cause in the River Arts District this Sunday, May 15. The Asheville E-Z Gardeners is…
- The Carolina Cinemark hosts the 6th annual Grateful Dead Meet-up at the Movies, The Fine Arts Theatre screens Thunder Road and FierceFlix accepts summer camper applications.
- “Be prepared” goes the Scouting movement’s mantra. And being able to face any challenge is often a goal of institutions. But the question is always: How? How can we be…Teams from across the country will soon descend on Western North Carolina for the 2016 USA Cycling Collegiate Road National Championships. After years of dominance by Western locales, last year’s…Coworking spaces offer the region's large pool of remote and freelance workers a professional space without having to rent an entire office. This allows home-based workers a chance to leave…
- "Your readers who enjoy this sort of thing will want to first read the most complete and fantastic accounting of a NDE that I know of: Embraced by the Light,…"Those who have attended our meetings (third Saturday most months — not October — at 10.30 a.m. at Seymour Auditorium, Care Partners, 68 Sweeten Creek Road) will agree that we…"Come on folks, where's sensibility?"'The climate of hate, fear and violence darkening our beautiful state will clear as the rest of us find the courage to stand up and speak up for all of…"We believe that we display compassion by taking home a rescue animal. But who's going to rescue all of those animals that will be put to death to feed the…'I do try to think of Asheville as a green and environmentally conscious town, but, in this case, we are not backing up our persona with easy access to bulk…"A simple definition of biopic is a 'biographic movie,' yet the overriding storyline in the period it claims to represent bears little resemblance to Miles Davis' actual life.""Maybe we as a society could open our hearts to these people as being our fellow human beings, regardless of gender identity.""Most of our sheriffs were very personable guys, but some suffered from addiction to the same sins they were supposed to be keeping under control.""No one should have the right to open a hotel-like business in a family-zoned neighborhood unless a zoning variance is issued.""If the governor sincerely believes that discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation and gender identity is just as bad as racism, why isn’t he pushing as hard as he…