- The fundraiser at Isis Restaurant & Music Hall supports those goals and also provides financing for scholarships and an outreach program. “Since 2012, Asheville Music School and the Paul Thorpe…But as Bachmann — who grew up in Asheville and launched his music career in Chapel Hill — announced the official end to Crooked Fingers, he also heralded in his…Before it’s recorded later this year, the band's new material will surface during a spring tour, New Mountain hosts the quartet on Friday and Saturday, April 15 and 16.The Black Mountain brewery has significantly expanded its outdoor concert stage over the past six years and become an annual tour stop for acts like Trampled By Turtles and Dr.…How will you spend Record Store Day 2016? One option is a free show by two local bands. After eight years with the same lineup, The Secret B-Sides know how to…Fred Chappell will read from his new fantasy book at Malaprop's on Friday, April 15. A tour in support of Record Store of the Mind, with accompaniment by local musicians…Jack of the Wood hosts Celtic bagpiper E.J. Jones and two collaborators on Friday, April 15.Funny Business at the Millroom presents a show by the comedian, writer and actor on Friday, April 15.Performers include South African singer Laura Reed, Congolese fire-eater Seeko and Ugandan multi-instrumentalist and singer/songwriter Kinobe. And for $10 extra, dinner is available from The Kente Kitchen. The benefit show…
- The second in a two-part series on barrel aging heads east to Catawba County and visits a couple of neighborhood cellars to explore how Asheville area brewers are using oak…In its 12th year, the Asheville Artisan Bread Bakers' Festival offers opportunities for learning, networking and nibbling free bread; Villagers hosts a class on growing vegetables in Asheville; and Chestnut's…As an in-and-out kind of place to grab a fresh sandwich, a jar of Lusty Monk mustard, a to-go pint of ice cream from The Hop or a couple of…
- The phenomenon of near-death experiences is more widespread than popularly believed, with some estimates placing it in the millions. Several Western North Carolina residents recount their experiences, which they say…The 18th Annual Asheville Orchid Festival is expected to be the biggest ever, thanks to a joint effort among the North Carolina Arboretum, the Western North Carolina Orchid Society (WNCOS)…
- UNCA screens a Marsha P. Johnson documentary, the Weaverville Library show the pollinator film "Wings of Life" and extras are needed for Martin McDonagh's new film in Sylva.
- Deltec Homes' signature round structures have been a feature in the local landscape since the 1960s. Last month, the company bolstered its credentials as a green and socially responsible business…A Mountain BizWorks program called ScaleUp WNC is helping established new businesses take the next steps in growth. The program is funded by a $1.25 million grant from the Small…Members of the Asheville High-SILSA Speech and Debate Team find competition and community while learning research, writing and presentation skills that help them in the classroom and the real world.
- "Thank you so much for printing those wonderful stories, essays, thoughts — and the artwork that shows so much talent. ""Look closely, Asheville decision-makers. This is your new standard.""History should be left alone to be understood and appreciated. It should not be a matter of current approval. Some of us respect Vance.""Neighborhoods with character, walkable to city centers — parks and playgrounds, and of the size families need — will no longer be neighborhoods inclusive of families.""A state that sanctions discrimination and hate is not a place that I wish to call home."'Rather than sending armfuls of hard-earned money to large corporations that operate centralized coal and gas plants, why not keep that money circulating here by choosing local, renewable energy sources?'"Who wants to move to a state to live downstream from a coal-ash pond in an area where schools are underfunded and employees have no rights? "