- Local bands have sustained and grown their fan bases through various creative means during the COVID-19 pandemic.Local band Brushfire Stankgrass launched Live on Linden, a porch concert series, in 2020.Local poet Peggy Weaver earns the 2021 top finish in Xpress' annual poetry contest.Multidisciplinary artist Kira Bursky celebrates her first print collection. Also: new theater, live music, books, exhibits and more!
- The Asheville Ben's Friends chapter hosts a crawfish boil, Western North Carolina AIDS Project gets set for Dining In for Life 2021, Chow Chow announces its 2021 festival schedule and…
- For many Asheville residents, seeing a bear at their trash can is a bucket-list item, the pinnacle of mountain living. But as exciting as a bear sighting can be, interactions…As the world returns some sense of normalcy, the desire for the reliability and convenience of a CSA is holding fairly steady, and Western North Carolina growers have refined systems…
- In 1936, The Asheville Citizen participated in the Newspaper National Snapshot Awards. Between July and September of that year, thousands of local residents submitted photographs in the hopes of winning…Miranda Williams has been socially engaged since her freshman year. Now a senior at Asheville High School, she continues to speak out for racial justice.In early April, Mars Hill University professor of religious studies Marc Mullinax debuted his new book, Tao Te Ching: Power for the Peaceful, a translation and interpretation that blends a…Smith Mill Works is a sprawling, formerly abandoned greenhouse complex in West Asheville. The property's revitalization began with in 2014 with the involvement of Michael Klatt. Now home to a…The WNC Purchasing Alliance, along with Solarize Asheville-Buncombe, promise to lower costs and shift how consumers choose to spend their dollars.On April 22, the Southern Appalachian Highlands Conservancy shared news of a 7,500-acre donation in the Roan Highlands. That same day, Foothills Conservancy of North Carolina announced a 332-acre donation…The ordinance drew over an hour of public comment, with the majority of speakers in favor of the law.
- "Asheville-area workers and families — regardless of race, gender or job status — would become a healthier, more financially secure local workforce.""There is not affordable housing in our society, including the Asheville area, because there is not profit in affordable housing.""Syringe service programs are the primary drivers behind the reduction of overdose and hepatitis C-related deaths.""Appalachian rich coves are among the most diverse plant communities in North America, home to three times as many rare plant species as are found in other forest types.""The city of Coral Gables, Fla.. ... has been very successful preserving its heritage as well as allowing for the growth that comes with a popular place to live." Asheville is without a doubt a first-class destination for unreconstructed navel gazers. Complacency, though, can be a deadly sin masquerading as good intentions.""There are other costs that need to be factored in, particularly for those in our community who see the monument, whether named for a historical figure or having a different…"Bumper sticker activism may not be proverbial 'skin in the game' and may make us feel good selfishly, but can also reflect the beginning of awareness."