- Recently, members of Artspace, a Minnesota-based property development, assent management and consulting organization, visited to Asheville to explore the possibility of an affordable housing project geared toward local artists.On Tuesday, April 18, Asheville Wordfest returns. The six-day series will feature over 25 local wordsmiths, sharing their works at venues throughout downtown Asheville.The showcase of local musicians and videographers returns to the Diana Wortham Theatre on Wednesday, April 19. The awards show has grown from its modest beginnings at the now-defunct Cinebarre…The festival takes place on Saturday, April 15, from 1 to 5 p.m.The Asheville art-pop band's new LP is more of a late night banquet than a simple side item.The song “Samba Si Kairi” is the album's centerpiece. “This song talks about my childhood, my parents,” Touré says. “My grandfather would sing ‘Samba Si Kairi’ to me as a…Noname will perform her coming-of-age hip-hop at The Orange Peel on Friday, April 14.The show runs through May 9 in the Folk Art Center’s Focus Gallery.The first Hex, which will include performances by hip-hop artist Nervous Dupree and three local DJs, takes place at The Mothlight on Friday, April 14.
- AshevilleWhite Duck Taco Shop adds to its growing number of locations with a large new South Asheville space designed with locals in mind.A new program spearheaded by the Asheville-Buncombe Food Policy Council gives SNAP users more spending power when purchasing fresh fruits and vegetables grown in Western North Carolina.Catawba Brewing Co. and Buxton Hall Barbecue welcome spring with a tiki-themed outdoor bash. Also, Table hosts Nowruz, a community focused Persian, Sephardic and Parsi dinner; Star Diner in Marshall…With a total seating capacity of about 160, the combination restaurant and brewery adds another new player to the growing Sweeten Creek Road beer scene.
- Through their Jewel of the Blue Ridge teaching vineyard, Chuck and Jeannie Blethen share their knowledge of growing cold-hardy grapes in the mountains. The vineyard is offering on-farm classes each…The LiveWell Expo featured a variety of fitness options, cooking demonstrations, medical care and much more to show locals how to live the good life.
- Fierce Flix registration opens, Joe Kendrick continues his Southern Songs and Stories music documentary series and more.
- Asheville and Buncombe County have worked for several years on plans to reduce the area's solid waste stream, but implementing "pay as you throw" and municipal composting programs remain in…Duke Energy’s plan to bring smart meters to the mountains could put two key concerns — energy conservation and human health — into a head-on collision, critics say.Children First/Communities in Schools is accepting teams and individuals for its annual trivia event, which also offers dinner, drinking and costumed antics. The fundraiser takes place at Morris Hellenic Cultural…Asheville's Planning & Zoning Commission approved a 74-room hotel on Sweeten Creek Road, an increase in the number of units included in the proposed redevelopment of Lee Walker Heights, changes…
- "It is way more than a coincidence that the rate of many neurological disorders in our children has increased dramatically since 1989, including autism, tics, sleep disorders, ADHD/ADD, speech and…"However, admiration and compliments are in order for Tim Hartigan, whose letter (under your title “Practice What You Preach, Feb. 22) [Xpress] deserves wider recognition.""People contacted [former Sen. Tom] Apodaca initially, and now Mr. Edwards, because they no longer expect those who destroy their quality of life to have any interest in restoring it.…"With these as the antecedents to the [recently replaced] billboard, it feels as though our overall feminist leaning and progressive community might indeed be justified in our agitation with this…"The 'citizen' task force process was a farce. Council did not need this task force. There are 12 years of documented public support for green space, not more commercial development.""Most of all, I want my children, your children and our grandchildren to grow up in a world with a stable climate."