- Another aim for adé PROJECT is to work with as many artists of color as possible, using a cooperative model. “We often are left out of decision-making processes or not…“Many artists, creatives, musicians and performers are leaving due to the rapidly increasing cost of living, putting Asheville’s culture at risk," says Stephanie Moore of the Center for Craft, Creativity…“Some people say, ‘I really don’t know about polka,’ but we make it for everyone,” clarinet player Adam Bennett says. “This year, we threw in ‘Africa,’ by Toto.”The Asheville-based multi-hyphenate discusses her varied work on the acclaimed new film.The Australian pop-punk quartet play Static Age Records on Sept. 25.“We’re looking back at that time of black excellence and giving it a new light for today with our music and our brand,” says multi-instrumentalist Adrian Younge.The Brooklyn-based folk-noir duo plays Asheville Julyan Davis' Mill at Riverside studio on Sept. 24.The Asheville-based progressive bluegrass group headlines The Grey Eagle on Sept. 21.The outdoor fine art and craft show returns to downtown Weaverville on Sept. 21.
- John Silver plans to open his brewery's new three-story location in early 2020.In the restaurant industry, success rates can be shockingly low. Yet there are a handful of eateries in Asheville that have stood the test of time.Goombay Celebration looks to honor The Block during this year's festivities. Also: Fiesta Hendersonville returns; Chai Pani turns 10; White Moon introduces evening hours; and more in this week's Small…
- Hickory Nut Gap Farm will join forces with the National Young Farmers Coalition to host a free dinner and networking evening for new and future farmers on Thursday, Sept. 26.
- Grail Moviehouse hosts Art House Theater Day screenings and videographer Rebecca MacNeice vies for an Emmy.
- “Often we can reach folks better through technology than we can face to face," says Shane Lunsford of the Center for Psychiatry and Mental Wellness. As telehealth service offerings and…ASHEVILLE, N.C.ASHEVILLE, N.C."What does the establishment of a wild bird sanctuary mean?" asked an editorial in the Sunday, Feb. 23, 1947 edition of the Asheville Citizen-Times. "It means that the birds of…As currently drawn, the proposed districts would shift representation for large areas of Buncombe County. A 2011 state law also required that districts for the Buncombe County Board of Commissioners…Taking place at the Vance Monument from 5:30-7:30 p.m. on Friday, Sept. 20, the rally brings together 15 area organizations in a call for change. The speaker lineup includes Anita…The hotel project hearing is now tentatively scheduled for the same meeting in which Council members will vote on whether to implement a temporary ban on new hotel construction.After less than two months in his position, Chief Chris Bailey has announced his resignation from the Asheville Police Department.
- "Are there educators who think that kids can learn despite their backgrounds and the effects of outside-the-school influences? If so, let’s hire them, starting at the superintendent level.""In Asheville, we are warned of imposing disasters invading us in the form of heavy rains, increased flooding, landslides, droughts, fires, epic storms, maybe even insect plagues as climate change…"The time to stop pretending is now! The time to implement extreme changes is now! The time to strike is now!""This is a pivotal moment to speak out about the climate crisis. Elected leaders need to understand there is a growing groundswell of support for climate solutions."