- The story is now well-chronicled: How Ford received a call from documentary filmmaker Robert Gordon — a friend of the Hi Rhythm Section, the house band for Green and other…Asheville gets a first listen, with band’s launch and extensive tour (including a date in Belgium, and more European shows to come) starting, fittingly, from The Broadcast’s adopted hometown.Brief Encounters: New Magnetic Voices 2016 shows at The Magnetic Theatre Thursdays to Saturdays through June 25.Tripp presents her fictionalized biography of Georgia O'Keeffe at Malaprop's on Tuesday, June 14.Hot Springs Resort and Spa hosts the free, daylong Bluff Mountain Festival on Saturday, June 11.Fashion consultant Leslie Council recently founded a female-focused branch of mentorship nonprofit My Daddy Taught Me That and will host a benefit to cover year one expenses. The event is…Catch the Baltimore-based, microphone-sharing duo at Isis Restaurant & Music Hall's upstairs lounge on Thursday, June 9.The harrowing tale of an 1830 murder in MItchell County is the basis for a new production at the Parkway Playhouse. Director and playwright Andrew Gall adapted the script from…"Ours is not a competitive group," says Kate Guggenheim. "But one that is there to respect and support each other and our work.”
- Asheville writer, audio documentarian and singer-songwriter Carla Seidl wraps up her two-year local foods project, Earth Flavors, with a reflection on what she learned from her many interviews with local…In a town where tourists come for the food, people who live on the margins of society often feel unwelcome in restaurants, even if they have the money to pay…Hickory Nut Gap Farm hosts a new Friday night dance series, Little Sparrow Coffee and Kitchen is set to open in Woodfin, Ambrozia adds lunch, and Tryon offers its annual…
- Third-grade students at Estes Elementary School investigated the connection between the community and farms, discovering along the way that farms are more interesting than people might think.WNC residents find relief from their medical ills through recently legalized cannabinoids extracted from industrial hemp.Asheville-area play experts discuss the importance of play for adults and note the variety of fun and play-driven activities offered by local organizations.
- The Grail screens a hemp documentary, Hank Bones premieres his second feature film at The Wedge and Brenda Lunsford Lilly’s State of Grace has a reunion at the ATX Television…
- Military service is difficult enough, but for many, life gets even harder once they’re done. Over half of the 2.5 million soldiers deployed to Iraq and Afghanistan during America’s longest…An upcoming PTSD Town Hall aims to connect veterans with resources to help them deal with PTSD. The event will feature panel speakers and have representatives from local, state and…Since legislation allowing farmers to grow industrial hemp passed into law last year, local farmers and entrepreneurs have been working to explore how the crop can contribute to Western North…
- "The bottom line is if you or someone you know is considering adding an animal companion to your family: Don’t breed or buy while pound pups die!""Development in Asheville and surrounds is inevitable, but there are too many unanswered questions with Cornerstone and too many risks to northern Buncombe County for this development to be approved.""I do not track around feces or poop after digging it up to eat, yet the animals in Asheville who perform such activities apparently have more rights than I do.""In order to reclaim our rights, the time has come for the people of Western North Carolina to secede from Raleigh and seek admission as the 51st state.""Why did Woodfin annex that property? Asheville has stringent steep-slope requirements ... Woodfin has no steep-slope requirements."