- Among other dates, Secret Shame played a coveted spot on this year's Hopscotch Music Festival lineup.The need for representation led to the decision to put together an anthology of speculative fiction by black women. The book, 'Black From the Future: A Collection of Black Speculative…The all-female mariachi band offers master classes and a performance at UNCA, Sept. 17-18.The uptempo Brooklyn-based band plays The Mothlight on Sept. 14.The Asheville Area Arts Council's latest color ball spotlights grant recipients in South Slope and River Arts District venues.The Broadcast plays "Led Zeppelin IV" in its entirety as a fundraiser for the Music Academy of Asheville on Sept. 14 at The Orange Peel.Murphy Funkhouser Capps takes us along for the ride from her childhood through motherhood, and beyond. She provides laughter and pathos amid the literal stacks of world-worn suitcases that adorn…Seung Jun Seo debuts his new ceramics show on Sept. 13 at Gallery 101.
- Although they aren't actually a fruit, figs are a late-summer favorite in dishes both sweet and savory."For many years, the stereotype was if you were a woman in the kitchen, you would do pastry, and that was seen as a lesser thing. That perception still lingers,…PubCorps, a new local nonprofit, launches with a volunteer event at the Asheville Masonic Temple. Also: Metro Wine hosts a Spanish tapas dinner; The Bountiful Bonanza of Bitters comes to…
- A celebration of the courage of pediatric cancer patients at Well Played Board Game Café on Wall Street in downtown Asheville will collect new and unused Legos and the card…Both local and corporate retailers are committing to reduce or eliminate use of the popular but harmful insecticide.
- The Fine Arts Theatre hosts an advance screening of "Downton Abbey," complete with a costume contest.
- On Feb. 21, 1947, The Asheville Citizen reported on a three-day conference taking place in Asheville. Consisting of over a dozen organizations, the groups sought "to solve one of the…Last month marked the 400th anniversary of the introduction of slavery to North America, triggering a new round of national soul-searching about human bondage and its complex legacy. And closer…ASHEVILLE, N.C.ASHEVILLE, N.C.During the Tuesday, Sept. 10, meeting of Asheville City Council, members will consider conditional zoning that would permit the construction of a mixed-use hotel planned for the north end of…The target audience for a new $11.5 million marketing campaign developed by Atlanta-based ad agency 360i includes 20 million more people than were reached by last year's advertising for Asheville.…Asheville's Planning and Zoning Commission recommended to deny conditional zoning for Jettie Rae's, a seafood restaurant proposed along the French Broad River. Asheville City Council will make the final decision…“We recognize that the impacts of tourism are creating some experiences in our community that residents don’t like, and there are feelings that we’re being overwhelmed by tourism,” said Stephanie…
- "I object to the hypocrisy of your own local coverage policy as regards to greenhouse gases, which fails on grounds of being inherently global, giving them no place on your…"However, instead of asking how to get to 100% renewables, we need to refine the question to how can we reduce our energy demand so that we can get to…"To everyone out there, please don’t mow off white clover flowers if you can possibly avoid doing so. Your own life depends on bees.""This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for our community to meet several of its goals with one carefully crafted development project.""The worldwide strike on Friday, Sept. 20, will demand that our elected leaders stop business as usual and respond positively and immediately to the climate disruption crisis now upon us.""Housing is in short supply and unaffordable. Rather than take an honest and comprehensive look at the issues, barriers and contributors to the problems, however, we in Asheville have smugly…"It is my heartfelt opinion that Create 72 Broadway, as currently proposed, would be the death of Asheville City Market."