- Recent wins at Music Video Asheville and the LEAF Singer-Songwriter Competition are opening doors for the local folk-soul artist.The summertime series showcases various forms of storytelling on Saturday mornings in July.Opening Saturday, July 6, at The Magnetic Theatre, Has Anyone Seen Ms. Ray? is all about things that go bump in the night. “It’s based loosely on Antigone,” Todd Weakley…Kingdom: A Drag King Showcase at Boiler Room in the Grove House, was intended to run as a sort of open mic, but after the inaugural show, organizer Viktor Grimm…Harris performs at Isis Music Hall on Saturday, July 8.Victor Palomino will showcase a series of dynamic mixed-media painting and sculpture pieces at the DeSoto Lounge. The exhibition opens on Thursday, July 6.Banditos and Tall Tall Trees round out the lineup for RiverMusic with Susto on Friday, July 7.WHAT: A fashion show benefit for Asheville Community Theatre WHEN: Friday, July 7, 7:30 p.m. WHERE: Renaissance Hotel WHY: Music blares from the speakers, the final touches to hair and…The author events take place at Warren Wilson College from Wednesday, July 5, through Friday, July 14.Upon arriving, the audience is greeted by a clever stage design (by Samantha Yaeger) that makes you feel as if you are under the sea, gazing out from a deep…
- The ice-cream sandwich purveyor moved into its first brick-and-mortar at the end of June.Local ice pop pros have creative suggestions for making cool treats at home.In its seventh year, Noble Kava launches a new location on Biltmore Avenue. Also, the WNC Battle of the Burger returns, Atlanta barbecue comes to Buxton Hall, Sovereign Remedies hosts…Carrieann and Jon Schneider will create their beers using produce and herbs grown at the 11-acre sustainable farm brewery.
- Four of Bullington Gardens' many displays have a special significance this year: Each was designed by a team of Henderson County students as part of the BOOST job skills training…The bad news for bat populations throughout the United States continues, and Western North Carolina is no exception. In one large Haywood County mine that was home to 4,000 bats…At Secrets of a Duchess wig shop, women have an opportunity to look healthy even when undergoing chemotherapy. Owner Judy Maisel helps them hold their head up high in public.
- Registration opens for Asheville School of Film’s latest Youth Summer Filmmaking Experience course, the Grail and AJCC's Israel Film Series highlights Natalie Portman’s directorial debut and more.
- With the recent removal of Confederate monuments in New Orleans and other Southern cities capturing national headlines, local residents, historians and scholars once again turns their eyes to Asheville's Confederate…On behalf of Asheville taxpayers, members of City Council swallowed a bitter pill on June 27: The city will pay more and get much less than it expected for the…Asheville City Council heard from advocates of medical cannabis and passed a resolution in support of legislation that would legalize the medical use of the drug in North Carolina at…"Today we stand in this wonderful hotel, not built for a few, but for the multitudes that will come and go," said Secretary of State William Jennings Bryan, at the…The Thomas Wolfe Memorial recently acquired a series of letters written by Frank Wolfe, older brother of Thomas Wolfe. Frank is portrayed as Steve Gant in Look Homeward, Angel. He was…
- "I’d like to share some local resources that make up a large part of the nonprofit contribution to our local food system in Western North Carolina.""The idea of setting up a 'trap' to generate revenue by dinging the citizens of Buncombe is not in keeping with what our county is about. This practice creates a…"Grown men don’t cry, but it was hard to keep a dry eye as we walked through these profoundly evocative memorials, knowing the gut-wrenching agony of the families of all…