- Teaser videos show this collaboration as a lush, experimental string band that sits somewhere in a Venn diagram between artists like Birds of Chicago, Kaia Kater, and Punch Brothers.According to cultural historian Joe Horowitz, "You’re not going to be able to attend the event without asking yourself what it has to do with the present moment.”The “Latingrass” four-piece plays UNCA's Concerts on the Quad series on July 15.The musical shares the story of misfit refugees and performers who band together for survival in a war-torn world.Trae Crowder, aka the Liberal Redneck, Crowder will perform in Asheville with fellow standup artists Drew Morgan and Corey Ryan Forrester on Saturday and Sunday, July 13 and 14.Local artist Neil Carroll's exhibit of graffiti-inspired, mixed-media art and fine furniture opens July 13 at Grovewood Gallery.The Asheville producer/musician has a music video release party for his new single on July 12 at Room Nine.The comedy stage show runs July 12-14 at The Magnetic Theatre.
- Close your eyes and feel the summer heat. Think about the flavor of summer and see what comes immediately to mind. Watermelon, perhaps. Or fire-grilled chicken. Or basil. Or lemonade.…Billy and Scott Pyatt reflect on two decades in the brewing industry.July marks peak season for gathering wild edible mushroom in Western North Carolina, and many tasty varieties are already popping up on local restaurant menus.Greatest grin, sickest trick and bodacious booty are among the categories at Ole Shakey's Best in Show dog competition. Also: Punk Rock Hot Dog Challenge; Brews, bears and wine; and…
- Buncombe did see its unemployment tick up from the 2.8% April rate; the May rate was also higher than the 2.8% reported for the same month last year. However, the…WNC's family farms are broadening their horizons to explore new avenues for income.
- The Grail screens a documentary on the band Luxury and the Smoky Mountain Cinema reopens in Waynesville.
- On Dec. 10, 1930, despite the country's economic turmoil, the Carolina Tobacco Warehouse opened in downtown Asheville.ASHEVILLE, N.C.Western North Carolina is a rock climbing mini-mecca, featuring faces such as Looking Glass, John Rock and Rumbling Bald. And for some, this fast-growing sport is a way of life.…ASHEVILLE, N.C.Community activists Sheneika Smith and Nicole Townsend are the recipients of the pilot Tzedek Brilliance Awards, individual grants of $200,000 paid over two years. The Amy Mandel and Katina Rodis…After much anticipation, Asheville City Attorney Brad Branham presents the city's legal options — and limitations — of addressing state-imposed district elections to Council during a July 2 work session.
- "It’s all part of the politics of resentment, of ongoing cultural wars and of a pervasive, modern anti-intellectualism that believes college is bad, professors worse, the curriculum tainted and students…"As a New York-born, 25-year resident of Asheville, I would like to tell Mr. Gilmore that if he moved here because of his disgust with 'left-leaning politicians,' he didn’t move…"Certainly, the last thing that our N.C. farmers need is for a state agency like the SBI to be complaining that they are going to have a harder time arresting…