- Brooklyn-based alt-folk collective Fireships plays Ben’s Tune-Up Sunday, Jan. 10.“Why a toy? Why not medicine, water or money?” Joe Adams asks. “In my own youth, having toys was an outlet to imagine a better world. To work out the…Ten local comedians take the stage at the Millroom Saturday, Jan. 9, at 8 p.m.Mountain Spirit Coffeehouse concerts were limited to about 10 per year while housed at the Unitarian Universalist Congregation of Asheville. The series' new home at Isis, however, allows for more…Both local artists host an opening reception at Woolworth Walk Friday, Jan. 8, from 4 to 6 p.m. Free.The play, about how the 29-year resident of New York City’s East Village became a mime and where that life has led him, debuts in Asheville Saturday, Jan. 9, at…The Magnetic Theatre performs Beer and How To Drink It at Magnetic 375 on Thursdays-Saturdays, Jan. 7-16, at 7:30 p.m., and Friday-Saturday, Jan. 15-16, at 10 p.m.Asheville DJs Justin Mitchell and Marley Carroll will spin at the after-party for the 2016 Cyclocross National Championships in Asheville. Event planner Megan Archer has also arranged a bike-themed raffle…
- Susannah Gebhart's artisan baking business is making a new home for itself in East West Asheville.Decades spent as a soul food chef, restaurateur and champion of equality issues have led Asheville resident Hanan Shabazz to her current role an instructor in the Green Opportunities Kitchen…
- Dance and movement can help people heal emotionally and physically, say Asheville practitioners.
- Amazon Studios to produce comedy series staring Warren Wilson alum, GiddyUP Film Tour stops at The Orange Peel and Tellico's Southern Songs and Stories event is rescheduled.
- It’s a motion we hardly have to think about: The arm swings back, then forward, and the discarded item arcs toward the trash bin. It’s almost as easy as breathing.…Smiling Hara Tempeh is bolstering its partnership with Whole Foods with the release of a new heat-and-eat product line in addition to opening a new factory; winter farmers markets are…In downtown Asheville, 30 permitted pushcarts offer a wide range of food, beverages and merchandise, helping foster a friendly, festive atmosphere within the central business district.
- "My favorite features are 'Cranky Hanke,' 'The New York Times Crossword Puzzle,' the 'Asheville Disclaimer' and 'News of the Weird. ""Perhaps the most salient distinction to make is not between the religious and spiritual camps, but between groups within them.""Justice is the theme that forms the backbone and soul of his life.""We have room for hotels and tourist needs, but we allow our homeless to die!""A cursory inventory of my own past behavior brought up some mistakes that could easily have ended with someone in a casket and my two feet standing on a taped…