- Mica Gallery’s current show, "Rock, Paper, Scissors" is on display through Tuesday, July 21. The exhibition features Bill Brown’s steel sculptures, Lisa Blackburn’s prints, and Thor and Jennifer Bueno’s glass…Born from Asheville Community Theatre's desire to attract a wider audience, this competitive runway show sees 40 local designers vying for titles in four zany categories: tape, nature, inflatables and…Crest Mountain Dinner Show stages its own commemoration of country music pioneer Patsy Cline. Local vocalist Liz Aiello channels Cline with help from backing band The Bobcats on Sunday, July…Since debuting in the mid 1980s, Atlanta-based Drivin' N' Cryin' has crafted its own take on Southern rock. Led by guitarist/songwriter Kevn Kinney, the group has distilled its many influences…Indie twin sisters Good Graeff open the pop duo's show at the Mothlight on Tuesday, July 7, at 9:30 p.m.Swannanoa Gathering, which runs Sunday, July 5, through Saturday, August 8, is five weeks' worth of instrument or genre-specific camps all take place under the broad umbrella of folk music.…Local bands open and close each segment of this body-inspired entertainment extravaganza, which will be hosted at the Orange Peel on Sunday, July 5, at 7:30 p.m.This year, Independence Day falls on a Saturday, which leaves you with more freedom to explore what this historic day has to offer.The painter's decidedly hopeful “Messengers” collection will be featured in the F.W. Front Gallery at Woolworth Walk for the duration of July with a meet and greet opening reception on…The local singer-songwriter talks about his newest release, his forthcoming projects, and gives an update on his son, Holmes, currently in treatment for a brain tumor.
- North Carolina's alcohol laws are slowly changing to allow greater freedom for the state's growing number of brewers, distillers and bar owners. However, despite the progress, local industry advocates say…With its soon-to-be-released Warrior series, Highland Brewing Co. hopes creativity will be the word that springs to mind when people think of the landmark brewery's beers.
- A new, specialized stent is saving the lives of stroke victims. If utilized within 3 hours of a stroke, the device can pull out clots in 80 to 90 percent…
- This week's roster includes summer movie screenings and a youth filmmaking camp offered by NYS3.
- Creators of DemocracyApps hope to lift the barrier and inspire more public involvement in local government, making it easier for citizens to understand key decisions. The interactive site provides detailed…With its upcoming Appalachian Food Pantry School, the WNC Food Policy Council will provide much-needed training, tools and resources to Western North Carolina's hunger-fighting organizations.A new exhibit at Mars Hill University's Rural Heritage Museum, titled "How the West Was Won: Trains and the Transformation of Western North Carolina, 1880-1937," documents the engineering achievements and…
WNC paddle sports on the rise: River use is up locally and nationally; area retailers seeing more revenueOur waterways have become increasingly popular with outdoor enthusiasts in the past few years. While local excursion providers, rental shops and retailers adjust to meet growing demand, increased development along…Tickets for the second Western North Carolina Battle of the Burger are on sale this week. Plus, local restaurants and wineries have special events planned for Independence Day.
- "[Last] week, several folks from Asheville joined hundreds of others to go to Washington, D.C., and brave the sweltering heat — not for vacation, but to talk to our senators…"Today many insecure men, influenced by a system that is racist, try to quell their insecurity by scapegoating people who are different in looks, gender, sexual orientation and race.""This is a call for you to think beyond, merely, how a food tastes and explore the substance that connects us all.""This change is going to radically alter the availability of a number of services in Buncombe County. ... Everyone deserves access to needed health services, including mental health services.""Local enforcement of federal and state liquor laws has long come with a big swig of hypocrisy.""While the Asheville economic/political machine can't seem to build hotels fast enough, Airbnb accommodates the overflow of tourists who come and feed many other facets of our economy."