- “In a lot of places in the United States, you can still get a degree in English literature and not have to study any people of color,” says poet, author…This time of year, religion almost seems to corner the market on celebrations of peace and unity, but Kwanzaa offers the opportunity to attune the spirit through a cultural holiday. Many think…“People can think of it as a visual psychic reading, but I can’t guarantee what the messages will be,” artist Racquel Wilkins explains. “Art is for beauty and upliftment. ……Scenes include yetis downing hoppy porters and devils skipping with lanterns. At Diamond Thieves Piercing and Tattoo, a grizzled skeleton even dons a big, red Santa Claus costume.Singing and playing in homage to another's work isn't the same as performing one's own original music, but for the members of these local groups, playing in a tribute band…The Chicago-based comedian performs at The Southern Kitchen and Bar on Saturday, Dec. 23.At noon on Friday, Jan. 19, visitors will get an in-depth look at Norton’s yet-to-be-revealed 2017 gift during one of the museum’s Art Break events.An array of Asheville talent pay tribute to Sly & The Family Stone on Dec. 22 at The Grey Eagle.The 16th annual show takes place Dec. 22 at The Orange Peel.Because of Maria Buchanan’s incredible performance, you’ll be hard-pressed to find a better show than 'The Tweleve Dates of Christmas' this season.
- Asheville-area brewery representatives name their favorite local and non-local beers from 2017, as well as standout industry accomplishments.For many local chefs, the trends that matter often have more to do with the philosophy of food than the ingredients and focus on issues like food waste and transparency.The Malvern opens, offering local and regional liquors and liqueurs. Also: Italian Nights at Isis Music Hall, a holiday party at Hole Doughnuts, DxE holds a holiday potluck, Ambrozia Bar…
- Three local musicians share an interest in helping people in the community explore the healing power of sound and music in workshops and retreats.
- Asheville-based hammered dulcimer player Joshua Messick releases a short documentary, Asheville Brewing unwraps its 7 Days of Classic Christmas Movies series and more.
- In Paula Ivaska Robbins' latest book, On Strawberry Hill: The Transcendent Love of Gifford Pinchot and Laura Houghteling, the writer explores an unusual connection and undying love that began in…A strong spiritual rudder can help young people navigate life’s problems long after they’ve sailed into adulthood, youth ministers say. In Asheville, some churches have changed the way their programs…Ashevilleans have a history of seeking, and many local residents have taken that search to spiritual pilgrimages along the Caminos of Europe. Now, Asheville has its own 16-mile Camino, a…While Asheville thrives on a diverse spiritual life, shifting demographics and evolving notions of religion’s role in daily life have many historic congregations reconsidering the part they play in local…Women's and men's basketball games take place Dec. 22 at T.C. Roberson High School to raise funds for the Sizemore family.After a tense back-and-forth between members of the board and residents in the audience, the Buncombe County Board of Adjustment approved the development of a 296-unit apartment complex on Aiken…In the shadow of an ongoing federal investigation into former County Manager Wanda Greene, the county received good news this week: a clean audit for fiscal year 2017.Separate incidents in Canton and Buncombe County over the past week highlight the racial tensions that have dominated headlines throughout 2017 in WNC and across the country.
- "And yet, in this mix of 'afflictions' is also optimism and joy in the awareness that the tide is rapidly turning worldwide — often led by the younger generations —…"Being a vegan, I naturally know many vegans and vegetarians, and these people are peaceful [and] healthy, and love both animals and people.""Western North Carolina is fortunate to have talented authors who write for children and young adults. Buying a local author’s book is good for the local economy and good for…