- This year, 82 videos were reportedly turned in this year, and the anonymous selection committee has been working hard to decide which ones will make the cut.The second iteration is slated for Monday, April 22, at The Mothlight with Chris Rodrigues and Abby the Spoon Lady, Laura Blackley and Tina & Her Pony; Forty Fingers &…The Chicago horror-comedy ensemble brings its brand of horror-comedy to The Mothlight on April 23.UNCA students will stage a Black Mountain College-inspired theatrical production in April, then take it to the Edinburgh Fringe Festive in Scotland this summer.Headlined by Perpetual Groove, the Franklin music festival runs April 19-21 to Altered Frequencies.“We were activists before we were musicians,” says Chloe Smith. “So there’s always been a natural instinct for us to be aware of what’s going on in our surroundings and…The magical combo of wistful nostalgia mixed with a hint of the comically absurd makes this show is a charmer, whether the viewer is a dog lover or not.The local instrumentalist/producer/DJ opens for Little People on April 18 at Asheville Music Hall.
- A Smith-McDowell House exhibit and programming and a Swannanoa Valley Musuem & History Center event bring tea into the conversation about Western North Carolina history.Part Two of the beer industry sustainability series explores the challenges and successes of new breweries entering an established, competitive market.Local and regional doughnut shops will vie for the top prize at the 2019 Do-but Thro-down and Bake Sale. Also: A look at Easter-related food events; Taste of Black Asheville;…
- “Culture is the closest to my heart,” says Fleming, who plays steel guitar, of activities at the second biennial Get Off the Grid Fest . “The best way to build…Last summer, Smith took his love for okra to new heights through his work with the Utopian Seed Project, a organization that aims to create diverse and integrated food systems.…Clere calls the effort a “natural outgrowth” from the last of the seven Unitarian Universalist Principles: “respect for the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part."Rituals that draw on the traditions of indigenous, non-Western cultures are part of a growing industry at the intersection of health, wellness and spirituality. Some in Western North Carolina have…“After they leave the farm, they can be part of a bee club, a medicinal herb meetup or [play with] other musicians," says Mahshie about his multifaceted nonprofit. "They are…Free programs from the Buncombe County Master Gardeners offer guidance in sustainable growing practices.
- The No Man's Land Film Festival heads to New Belgium, while the Grail screens a documentary on rock climbing in the Carolinas.
- “The average family spends well over $1,000 a year on toys,” Dobroski points out. “A Toybrary lets you check out three toys at a time for a couple of weeks…In 1925, Babe Ruth and the New York Yankees were scheduled to play an exhibition game in Asheville. A bellyache and subsequent collapse would put a stop to Ruth's play…Asheville takes a stand against racism this month as the YWCA builds community among those working for racial justice and encourages awareness of the negative impact of institutional and structural…With wedding season right around the corner, local wedding vendors are ramping up options for local couples.Eric Bradford, director of operations at local environmental nonprofit Asheville GreenWorks, calls China’s restriction of its recyclables market a wake-up call for domestic recyclers. “We were basically paying China to…ASHVILLE, N.C.“In designing food systems, the foods that need to be freshest when we eat them, the quick-turnaround crops, should be placed close to where we live,” Patel says. “I didn’t…The city of Asheville has taken initial steps toward rezoning real estate in four places around town in hopes of encouraging new development that would offer a denser mix of…Parks and Recreation Director Roderick Simmons fielded criticism over the parking changes from multiple community members and athletic groups. The city’s efforts to reduce the burden of event parking in…City Chief Financial Officer Barbara Whitehorn proposed that Asheville institute a program of regularly issued general obligation bonds to support capital improvement projects, while Council member Julie Mayfield discussed a…
- "I think the creative thinkers of any time rise up to the probing questions of their day. They study the facts and come to a logical conclusion. The 'not so…"But if Asheville’s economy collapses, so does WNC’s, and the 60,000, who imagine themselves to be so clever at getting free lunches out of the system, will be faced with…"How despicable to think that a grown woman cannot make her own statement about her interpretation and experience regarding working with President Trump.""Mind if I suggest this special interest group’s reputation is wrapped in a rainbow — not reality?""A major investment in electric public transportation will make a huge difference in equity and in achieving our goal of 100% renewable energy! So I invite all who value both…ASHEVILLE, N.C.