- “We play all over the South, and it’s just different,” Taj Mahal says. “People have manners. Folks come to dance; they come to have a nice time.”“If I can write something that creates that kind of connection, it’s not just me navel-gazing," says Brown.The Russian translator presents her literary debut in conversation with Elizabeth Kostova at Malaprop's on Feb. 12.The Asheville band releases its debut album on Feb. 10 at The Grey Eagle.There will be three comics each night, plus an emcee. The Saturday closer, Michael Palascak, a finalist on “Last Comic Standing,” has performed on every late-night show.The fourth annual celebration of local soul and rock takes place Feb. 10 at Ambrose West.The show is a lean, tension-filled piece that gives both actors a chance to run the emotional gamut.The Montana folk-hop trio plays Asheville Music Hall on Feb. 8.
- The co-founder of Green Man and French Broad has taught English abroad for nearly 12 years and recently published a memoir.Connie and Mike Baer opened the brewery Jan. 16 with a porter, stout, pale ale, IPA and a cream ale.A handful of Asheville-based podcasts showcase the area's chefs, farmers and food culture.Love is in the air and on the menu at many local restaurants, bars and breweries in and around Asheville.
- This year, Mission Weight Management counselor Marit Weikel is building on good habits she's already established, infusing them with new and exciting challenges.Athlete and Buncombe County Special Olympics coordinator Karla Furnari says she's trying to get into bed by 10 p.m. every night in 2019.Rhonda Cox blows off steam at a mixed martial arts class. She says her boss at Vaya Health inspired her to make time for wellness in her schedule.“We’re just learning that the microbiome has a central role in many of our chronic degenerative diseases, autoimmune conditions and mental illnesses,” says Asheville-area functional medicine practitioner Dr. Cynthia Libert.…"Can you do something to take care of yourself emotionally, spiritually or mentally each day?" asks Jennifer Teague, executive director of the Council on Aging of Buncombe County.MAHEC CEO Dr. Jeff Heck says exercise is the best medicine.Jan Calder, chief health and wellness officer at the Asheville YWCA, plans to take a new boxing class this year and try spin bikes. She advises setting health goals with…Sleepless nights are expected when it comes to newborns. But for some parents, the endless evening hours can sometimes stretch long beyond a child's early days.
- Local filmmaker Jill Boniske launches a Kickstarter campaign for her new documentary, Pack Library kicks off its “Janeane Garofathon” and more.
- Asheville and Buncombe County high school students got actively involved in various war-time efforts upon America's entry into World War II.Collider CEO Josh Dorfman is using meditation, laughter and a personal writing practice to keep a sense of perspective as he battles climate change.North Carolina allows two types of immunization exemptions. Medical exemptions, which must be documented by a physician licensed in the state, are rare. Most of those granted in Buncombe County…A document that allows mental health patients to request personalized treatment from providers during times of crisis is beginning to gain popularity among those wishing to take charge of their…“People have a lot of unexpected, surprising, beautiful and heartwarming stories that happen in the forest,” says Dogwood Alliance marketing director Amanda Rodriguez. “It’s not just about acres and clean…"Stress manifests in the body in very negative ways, and right now there’s a generalized anxiety about what’s going on in the world," says massage therapist Steve Mohrman.Nearly 67 percent of surveyed businesses expected to grow their workforce over the next three years, representing up to 26,700 new jobs for the region. The manufacturing and hospitality industries…Jim Tolbert of the Citizen's Climate Lobby encouraged members of the Buncombe County Tourism Development Authority to support the Energy Innovation and Carbon Dividend Act, a bill that aims to…In early January, Just Economics raised its living wage rate for Buncombe County by 65 cents, to $12.15 per hour for workers with employer-provided health insurance and $13.65 for those…At Asheville City Council’s Jan. 22 meeting, Mayor Esther Manheimer said the city would re-advertise its vacant city attorney position — after she and her colleagues unanimously approved an additional…As a result of the HCA acquisition of Mission Health, proceeds of the sale created the Dogwood Health Trust, a nonprofit foundation whose purpose is "to dramatically improve the health and…Plans for the Beaucatcher Greenway are on hold, and the city released a $975,000 grant awarded by the Tourism Product Development Fund of the Buncombe County Tourism Development Authority to…Since leaving her previous role as Charlotte’s assistant city manager to take the Asheville job in December, Campbell said, she has focused on meeting as many community stakeholders as possible.…
- "Eight percent of our urban forest — all the trees in Asheville — were lost in the past 10 years.""Crucially, there is no requirement that projects financed this way demonstrate any benefit to their host neighborhood, either before, during or after they are completed.""But it does seem odd to me that with all the various foot problems suffered by people in our modern society, the obvious solution is not special devices to fix…"The only way we can ensure that everyone has the opportunity to achieve optimal health is to work together with a shared and well-coordinated commitment to improving our community’s health.""In scope, it compares with the ill-advised, Democratically led, but bipartisan-supported effort [circa 2005] to steal Asheville’s water system.""The we-know-what-is-best bubble forms when officials lose touch with their own institution’s stated goals and with the community’s pulse."While Xpress can’t replace the volume of the coverage a fully resourced Citizen Times and other daily newspapers provided this community for over a century, we will continue to highlight…