- The singer-songwriters' unlikely paths into the industry meet at The Altamont Theatre, where both will play a set on Friday, Feb. 19.Coloring intricate designs is helping adults unplug from daily life relieve anxieties, but calling the activity "art therapy" isn't quite accurate.The Nashville-based author presents his debut novel Only Love Can Break Your Heart at Malaprop's on Wednesday, Feb. 17Colin Hay fronted Australian pop-rock band Men at Work during the '80s. His latest record, Next Year People, is his 12th solo album. Hay brings his warm and textured musical…Lower Dens opens for the band at The Orange Peel on Saturday, Feb. 14.From partner yoga to an adult prom and from self-love workshops to chocolate decadence, there's something for every kind of Valentine.Diana Wortham Theatre hosts the all-ages whimsical mime show on Thursday, Feb. 11, at 8 p.m.
- The Asheville Brewers Alliance's upcoming AVL Beer Expo is aimed at giving attendees an educational craft beer festival by limiting attendance and holding informational panels. Meanwhile, Hi-Wire Brewing is getting…Asheville-area restaurants, breweries, bakeries and wineries are dreaming up Valentine's Day offerings to satisfy a smorgasbord of sensibilities and budgets.Clingman Café's new mother and daughter owners will feature more homemade baked goods while keeping customer favorites.Luella's Bar-B-Que will duplicate its pork-purveying efforts with a new location in Biltmore Park; Asheville Wine & Food Festival has announced its first Asheville Cocktail Week; Local Provisions is serving…
- Early humans knew that animals have emotions and cognitive abilities; today, most people just don’t see it, says award-winning ecologist Carl Safina. The Stony Brook University professor is the author…Anne Livengood, Avena Joyce and Katie Jennings-Campbell have designed an eight-week boot camp that sets a goal of three to four classes a week for participants and engages local chefs…
- Free screenings at UNC Asheville, Mars Hill and the West Asheville Library, plus the Boone Film Festival extends its submission deadline.
- Walk any downtown Asheville street and you’re likely to encounter some quirky storefronts offering unusual products. Together, these “specialty shops” or boutiques, most of them locally owned businesses, are a…A city initiative is sending 100 percent of its members to college, including many first generation college students. The City of Asheville Youth Leadership Academy's goal is to provide real…Who knew that heartbreak could be so good for the local cycling scene? Back in 2005, bike advocacy helped Mike Sule distract himself from the heartache of a tough breakup.…Proceeds from the upcoming pre-Valentine's Day dinner will support Youth Transformed for Life, an organization promoting self-improvement and personal responsibility among disadvantaged teens.
- "She has a strong background in working with underserved communities, and we believe this needs to be strengthened with the commissioners.""There are better ways to handle this problem, and one is already being tried in Albuquerque, N.M., under the mayorship of Richard Berry, appropriately called the Better Way program.""What was refreshing about this giving initiative was the local flavor. The nonprofits that were chosen all do their work locally and are not supported by national charities.""It is my feeling that any support that we citizens and our government can give to organizations such as Brother Wolf is an investment well worth making with incalculable returns.""One of the primary responsibilities of health departments is to prevent the spread of communicable diseases.""So where is North Carolina's official rock song? It’s staring us right in the face! This beloved tune was written and performed by a talent that was sharpened and informed…"While some people choose to be homeless and some people choose to manipulate the system, a lot of people are truly stuck in homelessness and need assistance getting out.""Hall Fletcher is making progress that, several years ago, no one thought possible. Rather than breaking that up, let’s include its innovative, out-of-the-box thinkers in finding a solution."